Tuesday 14 April 2020

The new HRT patches seem to be doing well

Last Saturday I began using Estraderm MX100 instead of FemSeven. Three days later - today, Tuesday - I peeled off that first Estraderm patch, and considered its effect on my skin. I'd given up on FemSeven because lately it had started to make the skin underneath the patch go red and itchy. Had Estraderm behaved as badly?

No it hadn't. It had given me no trouble at all during those three days, and the uncovered skin now revealed had suffered no irritation. The skin was unblemished.

It seemed therefore that Estraderm was the way to go, at least while it remained available. I'm now wearing another Estraderm patch, which will stay in place until next Saturday. Like the Estradot I used for ten years without any reactions whatever, I have to change the Estraderm patch twice a week. The FemSeven patch lasted a whole week, which at first I thought was a gain in convenience. But I've changed my mind. It's clearly easier on the skin to change a patch more frequently.

This is what Estraderm looks like.


There are eight sachets inside each pack, each containing a patch. Having snipped open the sachet, you find this large square patch with rounded corners:


You peel away the backing strip on the right-hand edge, press this onto wherever the patch is to go, and then peel away the rest of the backing, making sure that the patch doesn't crinkle as it progressively comes into contact with the skin. Then you press your palm over the patch, and hold it there for half a minute to ensure that the patch sticks properly. (I count to eighty, then release my palm)

The first patch went on my left-hand bum cheek, but the second one couldn't yet go on the right-hand cheek because even after three days that was still red and irritated from where the FemSeven patch had been. The skin is taking a long time to recover.


I had to place the second Estraderm patch on the right-hand front side of my lower tummy, below my belly button. Not my preferred spot, but at least it was very accessible!

So far it's only had a three-day trial, and I can't of course be certain that Estraderm will prove suitable for the long term. After all, FemSeven gave me no problems at first. So I'll give it a bit more time. The initial signs are good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford