Friday 24 April 2020

Car insurance renewal - a bit shaved off the quote

I'm no wheeler-dealer, but my experience with BT and Vodafone over broadband last year has made me just a little more inclined to ask for something off if I want the product but don't like the price. Thus it was this morning with my car insurance renewal.

I should explain that my house and car insurer is Liverpool Victoria (LV), and they have a tie-up with the Civil Service Motoring Association, who rebranded themselves - for some reason - as Boundless a few years back. I joined the CSMA back in the 1970s explicitly for their cheaper insurance and road rescue cover (under the banner of Britannia Rescue). I still take advantage of that, as retired civil servants can. At least I think it's still an advantage to go with LV as a CSMA/Boundless member. Maybe it isn't any more - although LV would be crazy not to offer lower premiums to a captive customer base of hundreds of thousands of people. That's business it should strive hard to keep and not lose to other insurers.

Another thing I should mention is that the last occasion for making a claim on my motor policy was now over five years ago. It had slid into the mists of time. So I was expecting a reduction in my annual premium, or, if premiums generally had risen rather a lot, then to pay much the same as last year, which was £440 for fully-comprehensive car insurance on Fiona, my posh Volvo XC60. That included a £350 excess, and no-claims bonus protection.

I'd budgeted for £450, just in case.

So when the 2020/21 quote was emailed to me, I was a bit disappointed to find that LV wanted £474. It looked as if they'd added exactly 7.5% to the previous premium. It was no consolation that, according to the Internet, motor premiums have been soaring, and 7.5% might be less than some might have to put up with.

As I've done several times in the past, I looked at what another insurer would quote. Not that I was eager to quit LV, but to gather ammunition for a bit of haggling, to get something off that £474, and reduce the cost to £450 or a bit less.

What would Direct Line ask? I fed in my details and Fiona's and the headline answer was £340.

Oh! Was LV ripping me off? It wasn't quite so. That £340 included a £600 excess (rather high) and no NCB protection. So in the case of any claim, I'd take an immediate hit, and my ongoing premiums would be much higher.

I tweaked Direct Line's quote to make the cover come as close as possible to LV's. Now the price was £407. And this would be the new-customer price, always a substantial discount on the price for ongoing years. Next year it might well be well over £500, more than LV would ask for anyway.

Still, I now had a real figure I could discuss with LV. I phoned them up.

To cut a long story short, I got my renewal price down to £450 and felt satisfied. A really hard-nosed and pushy person would have done much better! But shaving twenty-four quid off was good enough for me. £450 represented only a 2% increase on last year's premium, which seemed acceptable. And LV will know that I am prepared to shop around.

This is what I have paid in annual insurance on Fiona since buying her in 2010, always with LV. Fiona has a top-of-the-range spec, a big powerful engine, an automatic gearbox, permanent four-wheel drive, and does a fairly high mileage of (normally) 15,000 miles a year. She cost £40,000 in May 2010, although scrappage and trade-in allowances on my previous 4x4 car reduced this to only £34,000. I think she's now worth about £5,000 if traded in. I live in mid Sussex, which is mostly rural.

2010   £369
2011   £442
2012   £513
2013   £447
2014   £421
2015   £493
2016   £569
2017   £466
2018   £464
2019   £440
2020   £450

The annual cost has stayed much the same, with occasional blips from claims. Considering the march of inflation - 2020 prices are roughly 22% more than they were in 2010 - I am actually paying less now than I ever have. For instance, that £442 in 2011 was the equivalent of £540 in 2020. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford