Wednesday 20 January 2021

Patience is not one of my virtues

It's now Wednesday morning. By tonight, a full five days will have passed since placing my order with Amazon. That's not good, especially for a high-value order with paid-for delivery. 

There has been no change in the situation overnight, except that Amazon have now taken the purchase money out of my credit card account. So they've been paid. They have no further interest. They can wash their hands of this affair.

But Royal Mail still can't provide any tracking information - which implies that they haven't yet scanned Amazon's parcel into their system. In turn, this means that my new phone must be in limbo: out of Amazon's hands, but not yet in Royal Mail's. 

Looking again at the order details, I see that the seller is named as 'Amazon EU S.a.r.L'. This suggests that the thing was in store on the continent, and has had to be imported into the UK. And naturally - post-Brexit - this takes a little time. I wish I'd noticed that before, and realised the likely consequences. My guess is that the phone is stuck inside a lorry, and it won't be handed over to Royal Mail for hours yet - maybe not for a couple of days. 

I still resent wasting all of yesterday on the understanding that delivery would happen then. Amazon stuck to yesterday's date throughout. They are still quoting it. I think that's misleading of them, to say the least. They must know full well how long it takes in current circumstances to physically move an article from a Luxembourg warehouse to a distribution centre in England. 

Amazon, take note. I may continue to buy mp3 music tracks from you at £0.99 a pop, but I'd now think twice about physical goods. 

Am I still keen on my purchase? 

Glitches like this do spoil the buying experience. I ordered this phone last Saturday. It's now Wednesday.  One cools off. If the delivery delay continues, I will feel it's such a bad start to ownership that I'd best return the phone still sealed and unopened, and get my money back. A long five-year acquaintance with any important personal device must start smoothly. This palaver with Amazon is clouding my attitude to the new phone, tainting it with irritation. 

It would be better to start again, buying from another source. I will definitely consider this course if Royal Mail are still unable to give me tracking information by tonight. Who knows, I may end up with something different - or just hang onto what I've got for a few months more.

Meanwhile, I'm not staying in. I need to get on with my life. I have food shopping to do, and exercise to take. And an appointment with the optician on Friday afternoon.

I've stopped caring about being at home for the delivery. If Royal Mail arrive with that parcel without prior announcement, while I'm out, then there's a Sorting Office not far away to pick it up from later on. 

1 comment:

  1. Remember Lucy our time is of no consequence for faceless suppliers! Not long ago, I found something completely unavailable anywhere in the UK, on offer in Berlin cheaper than it had ever been her in UK. I ordered it assuming a long wait but in no great need I did not care. Immediately tracking information came up of such detail that it made everything I had ever seen from any UK supplier on the same delivery companies system look like primary school children ran the UK branch. Very quickly it entered the UK system with usual incomprehensible statement as to its status and location and then the info dried up! It still got to me faster than an average delivery from within the UK!

    Being lucky enough to have inner and outer front doors expected deliveries have sometimes been instructed to leave the item between the doors and lock the outer, Then again we hardly have an empty house except for medical and hair appointments...

    BTW my phone is now about 15 years old and has almost repaid its initial £10 cost.

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford