Wednesday 20 January 2021

Executive action taken

I don't like being messed around. If I feel that I'm being strung along, I'll act. And I have. I think it's simply doing the effective thing to get what I want - when I want it - and not have to put up with unexpected and unexplained delay. 

I have now ordered that Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus phone from John Lewis. I've paid for next-morning delivery. It will arrive by 10.30am tomorrow. Then I have the whole day ahead to set it up slowly and carefully, savouring every stage.

I will temporarily be £800 out of pocket, the order from Amazon having been paid for, although their phone hasn't got to me yet, and there is still no word on when that will be - which is maddening. When that phone eventually arrives - it could be this coming weekend, or sometime next week, who can say - I will set in motion Amazon's return-and-refund process. Their phone will of course still be sealed in its box, in every way untouched, and suitable for immediate resale to somebody else. A year ago it would have been a huge worry to be £800 down. Not so now, even if I have to wait a whole month for my refund. 

It's exactly the same phone, by the way, except that this time I've gone for the grey version, rather than light blue. Grey is neutral, and makes no statement on its own, but it goes well with other colours. So my choice of case colour won't be restricted. Nor will the phone clash with anything I might wear, or the colour of my bag. 

Talking of cases, the one I ordered from Tech21 has arrived. Kudos to them, and the carrier Hermes! So my prediction, that the case would come long before Amazon's phone, has been fulfilled. Amazon, that's so bad. On the bright side, the Tech21 case will be ready for tomorrow's setting-up. It's a transparent case, to show off the phone's native colour in all its glory. As my previous phone was also grey, the new phone will look almost identical to it, apart from a larger and differently-positioned camera housing on the back. But really that similarity is no bad thing. 

And what do I do with my old phone Tigerlily, once I am satisfied that the new one is fully operational? It's worth selling on eBay. Or I could avoid that all that fuss, and sell it to a recycling company. I got £53 for Demelza, my Galaxy S5, from Envirofone back in May 2017. And they were quick and easy to use. I would get £95 from them today for my Galaxy S8 Plus - see https://www.envirofone.com/en-gb/samsung/galaxy-s8-plus-g955f/detail. It's an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford