Friday 15 January 2021

My new-phone fever abates

First thing this morning - meaning at 7.30am - I phoned my credit card company, seeking a reason why Samsung UK weren't able to process my four payment attempts. I spoke first to a nice man called Thomas, and then to a most pleasant lady called Suzanne in their Fraud department. Suzanne looked up what had happened with my Samsung purchase attempts. It turned out that, because this was a large and non-routine payment, they (the credit card company) had briefly held it up while assessing the fraud risk. But once this was done, they authorised payment. Each time. 

So the problem must lie with Samsung's own payment process. Possibly the transaction was cancelled in accordance with their normal rules, as there was more than a moment's delay in making payment. Possibly there had simply been so many people simultaneously trying to place an order, and pay, that their system had aborted some orders to keep the queue manageable. 

It all sounded reasonable to me. Suzanne also checked to see that there wasn't some background block on my card. There wasn't. Which was a relief.

So, it seems I can try to buy from Samsung again whenever I like. But you know what? My initial enthusiasm has dissipated. The need for a new phone hasn't gone away, but it isn't pressing, and I can easily wait, for months ahead if need be. And in that time, I can find out what reviewers have thought of it. And, when the phone shops reopen as normal, I can walk in and handle the thing. It's important to know how it feels in my hands. The new S21 Ultra might be just too big to comfortably hold. Best to check that out. 

Do I mind not having early gratification? No, not very much. The right moment to buy will surely come, and meanwhile I'll just get on with other things.   

2 comments:

  1. I do like to see and touch an item I am going to use for some time to come, decisions can be made in seconds as to desirability.

    I have several times had problems with online orders not going through and worse going through and the supplier, booksellers seem to be the worst, not sending the goods! Booksellers seem to list everything , pretending that they have it all in stock when they know full well that they haven't!

    At the moment it is difficult to buy anything because two factor authorisation is required BUT I cannot register the two factor system because I need a two factor system set up to sign in to register my two factor system! We are being pushed into a cashless world where unfathomable hackable systems control everything and could collapse at any moment leaving us clutching Sci-Fi gadgets but starving to death. Interesting times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it works, it's slick and convenient. When there's a glitch, we are as you say well and truly stuck.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford