Tuesday 5 January 2021

Meals on wheels

I regularly get flyers put through my front door, inviting me to sign up to some scheme run by a private company with health claims, for delivering ready meals to my door. 

Here's a typical one, which arrived yesterday in a sealed envelope addressed to 'The Homeowner' at my particular address. 


It's different from some others in that they give you a box full of fresh vegetables and other fresh ingredients, rather than everything being sealed in microwaveable packets. So a little culinary effort is necessary. But that's all part of the sell. You are not simply popping packets into an oven. You get the illusion of cooking a real meal from scratch, although I'd argue that simply cutting up a couple of mushrooms or peppers or whatever, precisely according to printed instructions, isn't really 'cooking'. 

The meals are claimed to be nutritious and calorie-conscious. They certainly look attractive. There's little work and no waste. And one can select from a long and varied menu. 

What a time saver! Mind you, the real costs involved, once hooked into this, are not all mentioned up front. I gather that it's £3 to £4 for each meal, unless it's one chosen from the 'premium' menu. Plus extras, such as the delivery charge. Still, on the whole, I should think a week's bill would be much less than the cost of constantly eating out in a restaurant, pub or cafĂ©. Or of living full-time on traditional takeaways. And it's a sure bet that it would be less than my weekly spend on fresh food at Waitrose! 

Well, if I were tied to the house, or found getting out for food shopping a bore, or hated cooking, or for some reason wasn't able to prepare my own food, or had no time for thinking much about what to eat - and certainly no time to cook it - then this would be something to consider. But of course, none of the preceding applies to me.

I don't think these things are aimed (as you might think) exclusively at frail old people who would like to eat well but lack the energy to put a good meal together. Younger people working from home, who might otherwise go through a whole day glued to a computer screen - with only coffee, biscuits and a bacon sandwich to keep them going - might also see this as a reasonable option they could try. 

Me? I thoroughly enjoy a regular meal out, especially with friends. But I also like to concoct, prepare and cook my own meals at home, as a pleasurable, creative activity in itself. Every one of my own meals is winged. I dislike following recipes, never use them, and have none to share. But then - for me - contemplating what is on hand in my fridge or freezer, how it might be cooked, and then putting together a one-off meal completely by my own hand, is never a chore. And I do have the knack of producing a colourful and tasty plate of food that complies with Slimming World standards! 

So I won't be taking up this latest offer. 

I did wonder how they targeted me. I used an app on my phone to inspect the QR codes in the address box, and identified my postcode but not my name. There must have been something that made them think it worthwhile to try a mail shot, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it was simply to do with assumptions they made, based on the type of housing around here and my distance from a town centre. Meaning that Sussex village inhabitants living in certain postcodes will get a flyer like this, but not townies with handy convenience shops just around the corner. But who knows. 

3 comments:

  1. A box of fruit and veg has arrived here since early last year. A friend gets two delivered from an independent grocer and passes one one. So much better than having to rely on the regular mishandling at most of the city supermarkets! The variety is much better and they have the quality of oranges not seen for decades and reminiscent of those from childhood. Each box is an interesting challenge and one we look forward too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you are. A delivered selection of seasonal vegetables can work.

    I really do prefer to go out and shop. But then I'm spoilt for local choice, including several farm shops.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much depends on where abouts you live, being in a very urban environment I have a great variety of good local shops selling a great variety of produce, there would be little point in advertising these types of delivery round here - pizza leaflets and estate agents on the other hand are a totally different matter!

    I enjoy find seasonal fresh food and cooking it in interesting ways, even though I life on my own I am trying to make my main meal a bit of an event now we can't do much else.

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford