Wednesday 13 March 2019

Where are we going?

Brexit...sigh. I do wish we had simply cast off back in 2016, waved a genial goodbye to continental Europe, and floated out into the Atlantic.

Now look at the pickle we are in. I'm well past blaming anybody, or trying to imagine how better it might have been done. It's very easy to criticise the present government for negotiating a poor deal that nobody likes, and which can't get passed in parliament. Who could have done any better? Really?

The fact was that the EU, as a political matter, would never have let the UK depart on terms we could have felt happy with. The UK could only be offered a punishing deal. The remaining members of the EU had to see that opting out of the EU was no easy option. Either pay a huge ransom, or live with ongoing control from Brussels. Or both. And this implacable approach has been consistently applied, so that all the other countries can see that hell awaits them if they do a Brexit themselves. Even if the policy of punishment means a souring in British-EU relations and ongoing costs for both sides. The European political principle overrides everything, trading convenience included. The EU can ignore Britain if it has to. Just as the US is effortlessly able to. That's how it is.

I just want to be done with it. 'No deal'? I don't say 'Bring it on' but I don't care too much. I clearly understand that it could mean a period of inconvenience, possibly shortages, and definitely higher prices for some things. But not necessarily chaos. Everyone would adapt. Everyone always does.

I want a definite outcome, for better or worse, and proceed from that. The endless arguments in parliament seem to get us nowhere, and there are many other pressing things needing attention.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to come out of all this will be a massive realignment of British politics, with fresh groupings that may coalesce into proper parties for ordinary people to weigh up and vote for. I think the old-style Conservative and Labour parties are finished. Both fatally riven by warring factions. Neither offering anything fresh. One (the Conservatives) led by a lady of impeccable devotion to public duty, but otherwise an inflexible and frustrating figure. The other (Labour) led by an uninspiring last-century man with tainted last-century views - another inflexible and frustrating figure. Both are tired, makeshift leaders thrust into roles they were never fitted for. They need to make way for younger people with different ideas. ASAP.

Although a natural Conservative voter, just as my father was, I often remind myself that in 1997 I actually voted Labour - because then New Labour looked modern, in touch, full of energy, and Tony Blair was such an attractive break from the past roll-call of idealists and dull union men. But it all came to nothing.

My disappointing New Labour Experiment will never be repeated. But I would consider voting for an alternative right-of-centre party - Conservatives take note! - if it contains common-sense people of clear ability, good judgement, reasonable integrity, political stamina, and a genuine willingness to take public opinion and modern realities into account. I've no time for a party that is concerned chiefly with its internal rules and its own immutable holy dogma.

Would I like to see the break-up of the UK? Certainly one country in Ireland. And if the people of Scotland want to become independent again, so be it. After all, new technology will make borders seamless and drive-through. You know: self-declaration online, mobile phone tracking, and clearance messages. It'll work, won't it?...of course it will...

Today's vote on whether to have, after all, a 'No-deal' Brexit will be a free vote, MPs voting with their individual conscience. I hope that their choice also takes into account the will of their constituents and the general feeling in the country. Which begs the question, do any of them really knew what people like me think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.