Wednesday 20 March 2019

Twist after twist

Ha. Another twist in the Brexit saga: Mrs May's cap-in-hand request to defer Brexit for three more months to 30th June is possible according to the EU Council President Donald Tusk, but conditional on Parliament approving her unpopular Deal next week. Like many, I can't see that happening, even if the House of Commons Speaker Mr John Bercow lets her put the Deal up for a third vote.

Mr Tusk is calling time. And he can. I think this truly reveals that it doesn't matter what Mrs May tries to do, nor what Parliament might try to do (were it allowed a series of free votes, in order to discover what course of action would command a majority in the House). If the EU doesn't want to go along with any of it, then that's that. The EU has the whip hand on this and all matters, so long as we are still members of the European Club.

I don't say that the EU is a heartless dictatorship. Far from it; it's essentially a federation of states with a common, co-operative purpose; high ideals; and a central enabling bureaucracy that has serious teeth. But it puts the interests of its compliant members, and its own political cohesion, well before the concerns of a discontented, dispute-ridden, departing UK. Its patience has run out. For many a long year - too long - we have been a voice of dissension, ever out of step, ever wanting a better deal. We have become too much trouble. We take up too much time. It isn't surprising that the EU might like to see us gone for good.

Who knows what the coming days will bring. It's quite fascinating to see events unfold. And I expect plenty to happen from now on, very rapidly, with frantic manoeuvrings going on, right up to the last moment.

And then we'll simply run out of time, and the show will stop. That'll be late in the evening on Friday 29th March. Whatever plates and balls are being juggled, they will crash to the ground. And by midnight on the 29th, a series of emergency exit plans will be put into effect. (I hope)

I don't imagine there will be much change apparent on the 30th March. But some effects should be visible by the time I make it to the far north of Scotland during the following week. And many more in the weeks ahead. No doubt there'll be an emergency budget, if there is a Chancellor in place to work one out. Perhaps Mrs May will have to resign. Perhaps a General Election will be called.

Extraordinary times to live in.

Sequel (a couple of days later)
No longer the 29th March! It's the 12th April now. Or, if a real deal can be struck after all, the 22nd May. I still don't care much. I'm numb. Let's just go, the sooner the better, and get on with all the adjustments that will follow.

And if the public are 'consulted'? A new referendum? Same vote as before; nothing has changed my mind; out, out, out, out.

A protracted exit, involving European Parliament elections? I'm not voting; it'll be my personal protest against governmental indecision and appeasement, parliamentary posturing, quibbling and obstructionism, and the bland we-pull-all-the-strings smugness of the EU.

A general election? I will punish any constituency candidate who wants to stand, but dragged his or her heels over Brexit. Whatever their 'principles'. They won't further their careers on the back of my vote. Somebody else, however loony, will get my vote instead. At last, a chance for the Chocolate For All Party! Or, who knows, the revived I'm Backing Britain Party.

Ah, Screaming Lord Sutch! Come back, all is forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.