Wednesday 6 March 2019

Bung-ho!

A post on bungs for my water containers? Well, I think you'll grant that it's got to be more interesting than a post on Brexit.

My Bung Quest was short-lived. I enquired at Burgess Hill, hoping that the hardware store there would have a range of rubber stoppers for canisters and jars which would also fit a water container used in a caravan. But no. The guys looked, but they had nothing like that. They recommended a brewing-equipment supplier. I decided that would be for another day. Meanwhile I'd drive into Brighton, and see what Dockerills in the North Laine could do for me.

No rubber bungs for canisters or jars there either. But it was time to think laterally. What else might do the trick? It had to be like the cork in a bottle, only wider, and made of rubber or something similar. Could a rubber door stop be pressed into service, for instance? No, not really wide or deep enough. Then I saw the rubber ferrules for walking sticks. Aha!

I had one of the water containers with me, and we (that was the young chap serving me, and myself) experimented with different types of rubber ferrule. The young chap found the right one first. It wasn't a tight fit in the spout of the container, but it wasn't likely to drop out either. I bought two for £3.20, one for each container.

Back home, I made a more considered assessment. Yes, this really could work well. The new 'bungs' would replace screw-on taps that had never been much good, since the thread wasn't watertight.


And now, after nine years' use, the threads were crumbling.


The containers themselves were stout and in excellent condition, and although presently a bit grimy on the outside, would scrub up as good as new.

This is how the new bungs would pop in.


It seemed to be a pretty good solution. The rubber ferrules had a bit of weight, and wouldn't get dislodged in any likely circumstance. Those water-heavy containers had never once fallen over on their side, neither in the caravan nor when carried in the boot of my car.

Naturally I sterilised the new bungs in boiling water. And scrubbed the containers clean. Soon I had two rejuvenated water containers all ready to go.


It was worth doing. You can't buy quite this kind of 10-litre container any more in caravan or camping accessory shops. The nearest equivalent has a different, squatter, shape with an uncomfortable handle, an unnecessary tap, and costs £17.99. Say £36 to have two of them. But by reusing my old ones with an improvised bung, I reckon I've saved myself around £33.

The only possible snag that I can see is that these rubber ferrules have a metal disc inside which might rust. But I suppose I could coat the metal with nail varnish, or glue, to stop any rust developing. (And I did: using clear UHU glue to seal the metal in)

1 comment:

  1. This is precisely the sort of DIY that thrills me. Even if you can afford to by a new cupboard, new water tank or new foo-foo valve, it's much more satisfying to repair an old one. Long may your innovative bungs live on!

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford