Thursday 14 January 2021

On pause - the phone order didn't go through!

I should mention, as an essential part of the purchasing saga, that I had three attempts to place my order with Samsung UK. The first two stalled at the payment stage, although the reason eluded me until I realised that the anti-virus software on my laptop was stopping the transaction going through. I hadn't yet designated Samsung UK as an 'allowed website'. Silly me.

So I tried again. And it looked like third time lucky. That's when I wrote the last post, in breathless but jubilant mode.

But I now have three emails from Samsung UK, each one telling me that a particular order had to be cancelled. Each time because the payment process wasn't completed. Including even the latest attempt, the one with Samsung UK cleared to do business with. What happened with that? Maybe Samsung UK's website got overwhelmed with other people's pre-orders, and the payment process for my third attempt timed out. Maybe; who knows.

Do I now try a fourth time? 

Well, it does seem to me that the gods that protect impulsive spenders - or a loyal guardian angel - are trying to tell me something! Perhaps they are worried that I'll throw away good money when it would be wise to wait, or consider other options. At least sleep on it. 

So I will. 

And tomorrow...

Yes, it would be sensible to study all the online reviews, to find out things that Samsung's online presentation didn't mention. It's what I normally do when looking at a major purchase. I should do it now. 

Even if still attracted by the S21 Ultra, shouldn't I best wait for the price to drop a bit? Or wait until a snazzier colour is available? Or just take time to look sideways at other models, last years' high-end offerings perhaps? They'll still be very good, and less of a hit on my purse. I don't have to spend all of my budget.

Would it matter if I deferred buying a new phone for months - or even until this time next year? No, it would not. My existing phone is doing fine. I still like it very much. It works well. It's got plenty of life left in it. There's no urgency in buying a replacement. The money involved can stay in my savings account until really needed. And meanwhile I will feel that much richer. 

Readers who think me a little too inclined to indulge myself, and then regret it later, can now breathe a sigh of relief. For the present, anyway.

The saga continues

Waking at 4.00am, I thought: this will be a great time, if Samsung UK have been experiencing a flood of orders, to place my own at a quiet time. I should be more successful. So I made a fourth attempt to buy. And yes...it failed. But now I had a definite clue about who was stopping it go through - my credit card company. I fired up their website and viewed my pending transactions. Aha, there it was, in limbo: the right amount, but not yet authorised. Oh bother. I'd have to phone them first thing in the morning and sort the problem out. 

Why didn't they like my paying money to Samsung UK? Had they never heard of Samsung? 

This was turning into a mission! I went back to bed. 

Frankly, if this fourth attempt to buy the S21 Ultra from Samsung bit the dust, then I'd take it as a definite sign that I ought to wait until later in the year. I still wanted a newer, large-screened, big-batteried, 5G-ready phone with a large memory, but not necessarily in January. And not necessarily bought direct from Samsung. (Hello, Amazon?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.