Sunday 27 June 2021

Band aid

It was Phase Two of my new-smartwatch customisation. Having got three different clock faces installed, to use as the mood or occasion took me, my attention next turned to the band that held the Versa 3 to my wrist. 

It had come with a boring black silicone band. I wanted to change that. I'd start with a white band from FitBit's own website. I expected something that was brilliant white, the same as my previous FitBit had come with. But no. FitBit had gone all subtle. It wasn't a bright white at all. Indeed, it looked grey, and at first I thought they had sent me the wrong band. 


Well, it was off-white - FitBit playfully called it 'Lunar White'. Me, I thought 'mushroom white' was more appropriate. It wasn't actually grey. It was in the brown part of the colour spectrum, but a very light brown. And yet not dark enough to be called 'fawn' or 'beige' or 'light coffee', let alone 'magnolia'. All that said, it would clearly go pretty well with a variety of human skin tones, mine included, and would look 'normally white' against a particularly dark skin. It wasn't at all unattractive, just not what I thought it would be. But I could be content with it, if I found nothing else that I preferred.

And this new 'Lunar White' band went reasonably well with the three clock faces I'd selected:


I was especially glad that the 'Lunar White' band suited the best-liked railway-clock design. This was still true in various other lighting conditions:


You'll notice that by now I'd tweaked the colours on the clock face to improve its legibility even further. Well, to make it look more distinctive at any rate! (More recently that dark yellow day/date box has become light yellow)

Meanwhile, there are two other bands in the pipeline, both of them silicone, both with more conventional buckles, one in a whiter white, the other in a bright red. They are coming all the way from China, and therefore delivery is taking up to fifteen working days. But I expect them to arrive during the coming week or so. They will undoubtedly be more exciting to look at, but if they steal the show from the watch itself, or are not so comfortable to wear, or the quality isn't as good as FitBit's own 'Lunar White' band, then I will just keep them in reserve. 

So, watch this space. (Is there a pun in there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford