Thursday 25 March 2021

Which do I prefer?

The latest Tegen hairband has arrived. I now have two hand-finished French-made bands from this Brighton-based company. This is what the new one looks like. It's a light tortoiseshell design, which Tegen call 'White Tokio'. The more traditional band I bought a few days before was called 'Dark Tokio'. (I rather like these names)


As with the other Tegen band, this White Tokio band comes with its own yellow brushed cotton storage bag. In my jewellery drawer, I rest both new bands on their bags, rather than keep putting them inside, which will keep the bags pristine that much longer. But when on holiday, I will use these bags to protect my latest posh acquisitions from scratches, bumps and other mishaps. 


The feel and weight is the same as the Dark Tokio band, and the speckling is broadly the same, but instead of brown and tawny we have black and cream, with (to my eyes) a hint of blue. Let's compare the bands, side by side.


For some reason, the words crème caramel and white Belgian chocolate spring to mind! These tortoiseshell hairbands are definitely attractive things, and I would assert that they are beautiful. In any event, I need something like this to complement my hair, and make it look more interesting.  Next, some shots of myself, wearing the new White Tokio band.  


Which of the two new bands do I prefer? Oh dear, that's not easy to answer. They are both posh and superior as hairbands go, equally pleasing to the eye, equally flattering to one's bonce. 

I haven't yet had time to develop an unswerving loyalty to the Dark Tokio band, which is still less than a week old. So the slightly newer White Tokio band has the same chance to become my favourite friend. In fact, a very good chance indeed, as it's the more unusual, the less conventional. Where personal accessories are concerned, I do normally incline more to white things, or indeed black things, than to brown things, Thus with these two bands. It's the choice (in a very rare moment of weakness, naturally) between a few succulent pieces of white Belgian chocolate and a few yummy bites of crème caramel. I'd consider each of them delicious. The obvious solution is to enjoy them both! 

Initially I intend to wear them alternately. So today, when out somewhere in the sunshine, getting my 10,000 steps in, I will favour the world with the White Tokio band. But tomorrow it will be the Dark Tokio band. And so on. But you can't have an ironclad regime. The choice of band on the day will depend primarily on my clothes, the occasion, and of course my mood. At this point it's impossible to say which of the two will ultimately prove to be my Number One Band.  

It's nice to think that so much pleasure can be had from two simple objects that didn't cost the earth. On occasion I do spend much more - for instance, in the end £999 on my latest smartphone, Prudence, back in January. That was such a good purchase. But you can't wear a phone, and although it is a highly customised personal possession, to the extent that someone else can't just pick it up and use it - at least not without first understanding the operating tweaks I've made - it will become obsolete and need replacement. But jewellery can last decades. And these new bands, if not quite on par with my silverware, can still be regarded as durable high-status accessories. 

Next: do I buy more stuff from Tegen? Or turn my attention to other gaps in my garb?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.