Monday 30 March 2020

Fitness during the coronavirus lockdown

(I've updated this post from the original version. There are new and even better Fitbit results to show)

Although there are only a few legal excuses for leaving one's home daily, and only two of them apply to me - going out for food shopping and for exercise - I don't in any way feel that this situation is bad for my fitness. On the contrary, the need to make the most of that one daily outing for exercise has made me quite self-disciplined about getting a brisk 10,000 steps in - with consequent improvements to my heart rate and quality of sleep.

Here are screenshots of the Fitbit app on my phone, after syncing early this morning (Tuesday). First, those steps:


Look at that - over 10,000 steps on five of the last six days! Definitely better than the norm.

My heart rate had been averaging about 55 bpm. The steady fall in the last fortnight to 52 surely has to be attributed to brisk walking in my highly focused exercise hour:


Now sleep:


Fitbit's 'Sleep Score' combines various things to arrive at a measure of 'sleep quality'. I used to struggle to get 70, which according to Fitbit was only 'Fair'. Lately it's mostly over 80, and Fitbit says that's 'Good'.

My target bedtime is 12.30am, and my target length of sleep is 6 hours. Recently I've been on target rather more consistently than in the past:


I'm not interested in getting super-fit, but a decent level of fitness is apparently a good safeguard against succumbing to an infection, the coronavirus included.

I'm not controlling my weight with fitness, so I'm not expecting all this extra walking to get the kilograms off. But with social distancing in force, I'm not eating out; and I'm able to follow Slimming World guidelines perfectly. Now that will get me slimmed down! I next weigh myself at the end of this week, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the result is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford