Monday 16 October 2023

Pickups

In my recent post Car decisions, I mentioned the Ford Ranger as a possibility if Fiona ever faltered, or was forcibly retired, or her ongoing component-replacement costs just got too expensive. Here's one I saw just two days ago at my caravan dealer's premises:


That's the Ford Ranger Wildtrak from five years back, with a 3.2 litre diesel engine. The latest version uses a smaller engine, turbocharged, said to be significantly more economical; it also has a higher spec all round, inside the cabin especially. Big and bulky it may be, but it exudes capability, and definitely has presence. 

Back to my Car decisions post. I was speaking in the context of needing a diesel-powered car for pulling my caravan around the country. I wasn't being too serious about having, in particular, a Ford Ranger. After all, it's the classic tradesman's workhorse. I'm not a builder or a farmer, nor do I want that image. In fact it would look incongruous, if not ludicrous, my stepping down in a summer outfit from the cabin of such a supersized vehicle. I'm not short and dainty, but even so, a Ford Ranger - or indeed any pickup - would surely never the the first choice of a senior lady of grace and distinction unless she really did own a working farm, or perhaps stables, and went about in wellies! Pickups are designed for rough tracks, and heavy, bulky or awkwardly-shaped loads, and not for easy parking in town centres, nor ordinary trips to the supermarket. 

And yet a pickup wouldn't be a totally silly idea. I'd have my diesel engine, a high-up seat, four-wheel drive and go-anywhere capability. The 'car' would be very tough, strong and durable. That could matter if accelerating climate change leads to harsh winters (as well it might). Importantly, I could tow almost anything. Although I'd have to contend with the 'builder' image, I could enjoy a refined, double cabin as roomy as an ordinary car. The husband of one of my friends bought a Ford Ranger a while back, to replace an ageing Range Rover, wanting the replacement to (among other things) carry his pals and all their golfing gear. 

I rode in it as a passenger when visiting. I was most impressed. The cabin had all the nice things I'd want to see, and the seats were very comfortable. It drove well. Geoff (the husband) did have to choose his parking spaces with care, but with parking sensors and cameras to assist, manoeuvring the Ranger wasn't really difficult. His wife Jean liked driving it, and she is short and slender. Here she is (back in 2018) in a series of shots - we were taking their dog Basil out for a walk.


A well-appointed interior with nice leather seats and chunky controls. 


Here's Geoff in the Ranger at Milford-on-Sea on a stormy day in 2019.


And here's Geoff about to unlock the Ranger in 2021. Fiona is parked behind. We were crossing the New Forest to Hythe for lunch.


He'd restored the original number plate. The three-year purchase deal must have run its course, and he would be thinking about his next car. I think he went back to a Range Rover. I hope to see them soon, and will ask what he thought about the Ranger after that three-year trial.

As a passenger on these occasions, I paid great attention to the ride. I was struck how invincible the Ranger seemed, how powerful, and how it laughed at any road surface. It was no Rolls Royce of course; but if I had one, I would feel safe and protected, able to explore where I wanted to, and would never have any worries that my current caravan, or any newer one I bought - inevitably a little larger - would be too heavy to tow. 

I should emphasise that Fiona is not on her way out, nor do I want to part with her. And no pickup is going to drive as well as Fiona can, nor give me quite the same level of comfort. However, I think I would be daft not to at least consider one, if my plan to keep Fiona on the road for the next few years proves unviable.   

One obvious practical point against having a pickup is what would I do with the big loading deck behind the cabin? It would be vast compared to an ordinary car's boot. It wouldn't have to be open to the weather, of course, but how would I fill such a cavernous space? Well, I could put caravan equipment into it. Nothing special comes to mind with my current little caravan, except a folding chair and a footstool in summer if I want to sit outside. But in the future, I might well want to bring along trolleys to help me fetch water, and deal with the toilet cassette. Water containers are heavy. I won't always be able to carry them in my hands. Even now, I ask to be pitched near water taps. But trolleys take up room, They need a bigger boot than Fiona's. The rear loading space on a pickup would swallow everything I might need to bring along.

Fiona is a cosy car, beautifully comfortable even after thirteen years of intensive use. Comfort would be essential in any replacement, so that I could cope with long drives. I do think however that top-spec modern pickups would cosset me pretty well. Here, for instance, is a brand-new Toyota High-Lux I saw in a dealership in 2016 - yes, I've been curious about these vehicles for some time!


All right, a bit utilitarian on the outside. But inside...


That was seven years ago. I haven't looked at the current top spec for Toyota Hi-Luxes, but I bet it's good, and more than adequate for my needs. Also, it's not as big as a Ford Ranger: easier to park.

Food for thought. I've an idea that I will have to make a quick decision on a new or nearly-new diesel vehicle at some point in the next few years, especially if I still want to go caravanning. So I'll need to be ready. From 2030, of course, I'd probably have to opt for an electric car. Yes, the government have extended the ban on new diesels to 2035, but with manufacturers tooling up for mass electric production, very little in the way of diesels will be on offer. And main dealers may not be servicing them.

One thing I haven't so far mentioned is money. The basic proposition is that a new pickup with all the creature-comforts I'd want will cost at least a third less than a conventional car of Fiona's quality. So £40,000 instead of £60,000. That's still very big money, but a cost saving of £20,000 is not to be sniffed at. I might of course go for an ex-demo model, and so long as the spec were good enough, I wouldn't quibble overmuch about colour, although a blue exterior would be my traditional preference. Equipment? A weathertight boot cover; a towing fitting with stabilisation. The only essentials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find a post especially interesting, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments in Blogger. Too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below is superfluous - it simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.