Tuesday 31 October 2023

Chilly wet weather - time for boots

That time of the year has come around again, when ordinary shoes and bare ankles won't cut it. Time to get the boots out. It wasn't so very long ago that canvas shoes would do nicely, as in these two shots taken in Cornwall on the 13th and 25th September:


But now, just one month later, it's cooler and much wetter, and comfort demands something better able to keep one's feet warm and dry. So this morning I put on my trusty calf-length black boots:


This surely marks a change of season. It feels as if autumn has hurried by, and winter is already upon us. I'm still wearing ordinary shoes on sunny days - usually my lace-up grey leather ones - but if it starts to get cold it'll have to be boots only.

The black boots above were bought at Hotter in November 2018, and cost £105. They have had a lot of wear, but are still fine for the coming winter. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy more boots if I saw some that appealed, but it's not a pressing matter. In any case I still have the brown and tan Dubarry boots I bought way back in 2011, which are my footwear of choice if contemplating a shortish winter walk out of town. And for severe conditions, I have my lovely heavy-duty green wellies that I always take when caravanning. They laugh at any kind of wet grass, and sneer at mud and snow. 

I do hope that drier conditions quickly replace the current heavy rain. I don't mind if it has to be both dry and cold. Indeed, frosty weather is generally invigorating, and there are few pleasures finer than a country walk on a crisp sunny day in November or December. Bring it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find a post especially interesting, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments in Blogger. Too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below is superfluous - it simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.