Tuesday 7 June 2022

My Garden-wilding Project

A short while back I posted about letting a border strip of my garden grow as it pleased. It used to be an area densely and carefully planted with flowering shrubs - I still have my parents' planting plan - but a few years ago I got rid of almost all of that and tried to turn it into lawn. That didn't quite work. Despite my best efforts, the ground was too bumpy. And the most careful and even grass-seeding failed to produce a  smooth velvety expanse. It was lush and green, but remained clumpy. Repeated mowings improved it, but as a lawn it was never more than so-so. 

More recently, the notion of turning this somewhat shaggy area of cut grass into an attractive meadow has taken hold. So I've let the grass grow. And my hope is that eventually, perhaps before the end of the year, it will indeed contain at least a few types of wildflower - I largely don't mind what - and possibly become a haven for certain insects and little creatures of the countryside. Think butterflies and ladybirds; dormice; slow-worms, frogs and toads. 

I took these shots yesterday. As you can see, the grass is growing, but it's hardly a picturesque meadow yet.


Rather too much emphasis on grass, and precious little else! But it's early days. I get plenty of visiting birds - thrushes, blackbirds, magpies, starlings, sparrows, pigeons, woodpeckers, jays, finches - and they will doubtless drop seeds into that border. The south-westerly wind will carry seeds onto it too. I am also much visited by squirrels, who come down from the tall trees beyond my rear hedge. I may see some nice things by April next year. 

In the meantime, of course, I must let it all be. I will clear out any brambles that encroach, but otherwise Nature must take her course, and do what she will. I'm presently looking at the seed-heads on the grass with some foreboding, as I'm susceptible to hay-fever:


But it has to be left alone. I wonder how high it will grow? Will it end up hiding elephants and tigers, salamanders and boa constrictors? So that a walk past this part of my garden will seem like going on safari, or a trip up the Amazon? It's nice to think, however, that I'm creating a little nature reserve. Surely that's a Good Thing? 

The rest of my garden, of course, will continue to be the domain of my motor-mower. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a splendid idea, Lucy, and I'm sure that, given time, you'll get a lot more than grass growing there. How about adding a pile of loose branches and twigs for hedgehogs to nest in?

    I left part of my front lawn uncut for "No Mow May" and was pleasantly surprised at what grew. Sadly, though, it didn't really enhance the look of the garden, so I've mown down again.

    ReplyDelete

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.