Friday 18 March 2022

It's osteoarthritis

I spoke with my doctor, recounting my symptoms fully, and next day had an X-ray at the local hospital. The outcome: I have mild osteoarthritis in my right knee. My current treatment - Ibuprofen gel rubbed in three times a day, combined with alternate rest and gentle exercise - can continue. The expectation is that my knee will gradually feel better, and I can be more active. However, osteoarthritis tends to be progressive, and my knee may start hurting again at intervals, certainly if I subject it to any unusual or sudden loads. So parkour, backpacking and long staircases must all be avoided. 

Actually, any part of my skeleton, particularly load-bearing joints, can develop osteoarthritis, and it could flare up in my fingers, elbows, neck, spine, and wherever the body bends and flexes. Let's hope it does not! Mum didn't suffer, but from his late sixties Dad had an aggressive form of arthritis. I hope that's not my fate. There's time yet to change my diet and lifestyle so that I slow down any deterioration of my joints and keep reasonably comfortable. So I'm now reading up about osteoarthritis and how best to live with it, and what changes I need to make.

At least I now know. That in itself is a relief, as having a firm diagnosis often is. My doctor wasn't in the least surprised. I'm simply joining the legion of older people who have sufficient wear and tear in their joints to feel at least occasional pain.

I suppose my stick - the one featured in my last post - will have to be kept handy, even if the present knee pain recedes. I'll need something I can use to take the weight off my right knee - or the left come to that, as both were casualties of too much badminton thirty years ago. (Moral: never abuse or over-stretch your body. It's the only one you have) 

What can I do to get away from the unfashionable 'little old lady with a stick' look? 

Well, perhaps I could tap into the RAF thing. You know, the standard Elstree Studios image of keen young RAF pilots limping around with walking sticks, making light of their discomfort, and speaking a strange jargon that refers to 'pranging the old bus', and exclaiming 'wizard show!' if some chap brings down a Hun or two. Indeed, I rather fancy - or have I simply watched too many dodgy war films? - that everyone in the RAF, the girls in the WRAF included, went around with a walking stick. And, on the other side, all the Germans were doing exactly the same. Ach so.

Well, if I could rig up a flying helmet, a pair of goggles, and a silk scarf extended by a slipstream, then, along with my trusty walking stick, passers by would identify me as a Spitfire hero and not as a sad old biddy with a knee problem. 

Just like Biggles! In fact here he is, on the front of a boys' adventure book, spotted by me in Lyme Regis in 2009:


Ripping stuff. Biggles is of course leaning his left hand on his walking stick. I accept that the Luger pistol couldn't nowadays be part of my get-up, nor the flying boat, and in any case I'd be taking a softer female cut on the Action Man presentation, but I can easily do the determined eyes and grim smile. And it sure beats being a tottering old dear.  

Then there's the Snoopy thing, and his obsession with shooting down the Red Baron. Naturally both of these legendary fliers sported walking sticks. Their ongoing confrontation is celebrated in two songs, the first from 1966 by The Royal Guardsmen and viewable here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWV5FrFITcg


The second is from 1973, the Hotshots' reggae version, also on YouTube, which you can hear at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qvCnoxFmI


I prefer the reggae interpretation, but in truth both songs can be highly recommended. Remember to pull up on your walking stick, and fire your machine guns when you have the Red Baron in your sights. 


I was never into Snoopy, who was all-pervasive in the 1960s and 1970s, but almost unknown now, unless he has gone underground or has developed a secret cult following (the Snoopies?). I was much more a Womble girl. Hmm - material for some posts there. In fact both are due for a revival. Who will film Snoopy Versus The Wombles? What a blockbuster that could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford