Monday 14 March 2022

I wish I'd taken that three year fixed deal last October!

Surely this post will resonate with all my readers. I bet all of us wish we'd acted when we had the opportunity. 

On 15th October 2021 - only five months ago - I was coming close to the end of my two-year fixed deal with SSE for gas and electricity. I'd been paying £117 each month. Or £1,404 a year

What new fixed deals could SSE now offer me? Energy prices were already rising sharply, and I expected to pay more, but not anything exorbitant. 

Well, SSE had two fixed deals. One was for two years, at £223 per month. That was £2,676 a year. I took a screenshot on my phone:


Crikey! Almost double what I was paying at the time under the deal that was coming to an end. No, £223 every month seemed way too much.

There was also a three year fixed deal, at £162 a month, or £1,944 a year:


That was certainly a better price - but quite a hike from the £117 per month I was presently paying. Did I really want to pay £45 a month more, for three years, just on the off-chance that the standard variable rate for gas and electricity would go even higher, and stay higher, for that long? My savings would suffer. I'd save £1,620 less than planned over those three years. That much less to spend on the all-electric car I wanted to buy in 2026 or 2027. 

I decided to pass these deals up, and just move onto SSE's standard variable rate, and absorb the payment changes as they occurred. It wouldn't be so bad: the variable rate was capped.

If only I'd had a crystal ball! Had I been able to see what was coming so soon, I'd have leapt at that three year fixed deal.

Currently I'm paying SSE £213 a month - £1,632 a year, which reflects the April 2022 capped increase. Who knows what it will be when the variable rate is changed next October.

For a while after October, SSE offered no fixed deals at all. Was this still so? I fired up their app today, to see whether a fixed deal was now being offered again. To my surprise, one was:


£338 a month - £4,056 a year! That's positively stratospheric. And it's only a one-year fix. I don't think I'll be taking that one up.

Would I agree to this deal if it were for three years? Basically to have certainty for that long? Well, I might consider it. But I can't see myself paying anywhere near £338 a month on the standard variable rate during the next twelve months. So it makes no sense to have this deal if it lasts only one year.

But I might be wrong. Just as I was mistaken last October about that three-year fix costing £162 a month. It's all a gamble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford