Saturday 5 March 2022

A bad knee

Just over three weeks ago, when kneeling on my mat at the weekly pilates class, something went pop in my right knee. Nothing else happened and for a few days all was well. But then the knee grew uncomfortable, and began to look swollen. And it ached. Since then it's stayed much the same. I've skipped two pilates classes, not wanting to stress the knee with even well-controlled unaerobic exercises. But in other ways I've had to deny it the rest it needs. So it hasn't got any better. 

I've got a consultation with my doctor less than two weeks ahead. I'm hoping that resting the knee up a lot more between now and then will enable me to say that the problem has vanished. But the aching (and ligament twinges) may go on for some time yet, whatever I now do. 

Both knees are vulnerable. I originally damaged the ligaments in my left knee with too much badminton in the 1990s, followed by the ligaments in my right knee. I was working in London, had to commute, and couldn't rest up except on the weekends. So healing took a very long time. And I've had issues since. 

I know that eventually, if I treat my right knee kindly, it will ease and I can resume all my normal activities, none of which involve athletic feats. Fortunately driving around isn't painful, as the right foot stretches out in Fiona in a relaxed fashion, only light pressure being needed for the accelerator and footbrake. So - with care - life can go on, including my caravanning from the end of this month. But I will be wise to stay off my feet as much as possible for the next fortnight. I've cancelled two upcoming meetups with friends that would have involved day-long walkabouts.

It's funny how my right leg and foot take all the accidental punishment that life metes out to me. Back in January it was my right shin that got damaged in Trafalgar Square. And in previous years, it was the toenails on my right foot that would get stubbed, notably the one on my right big toe, which eventually had to be surgically removed. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.