Monday 3 January 2022

When will it stop?

The financial hits keep coming! What was the previous score?

1. Four new tyres for Fiona, £779. Budgeted for, as all four tyres were worn and would have been replaced during the coming year anyway. Nevertheless a cost incurred months before expected.  

2. Bodywork repair and a new headlamp for Fiona, after accidental damage, estimated at £2325 (so it could be a bit more or a bit less). NOT budgeted for. 

But now two more big bills are looming.  

3. I've started to get squealing noises from my brakes, and it seems to me - on a visual inspection with a torch - that the pads are getting rather thin, a bit sooner than I'd expected. I'll take Fiona to the dealer to discuss the matter. I'm anticipating new brake pads and discs - front and rear - for Fiona, which I estimate will set me back £800. It's budgeted for, but nevertheless this is another cost incurred months before expected. 

4. I was looking out at my back garden today, and saw a fence post wafting in the breeze. Best to get it fixed asap. Maybe I'll need two new fence panels too. I'm guessing at least £250 all told. NOT budgeted for.

So a total of £4,154 to find from my easy-access savings accounts - I can just about do it, but it wipes out my Emergency Fund. If any more disasters hit me, then I'm into cash-flow problems! As it stands, I'll need to revisit my holiday plans up to July. I can see that at least one week away must be axed, maybe two. 

And this is my 70th birthday year, when ideally I'd want to splash out a bit! I definitely won't be able to do that now. 

It has of course crossed my mind that if I hadn't bought a new camera for £1,749 last August, I wouldn't be facing such serious cash flow problems now. But then I couldn't foresee the accidental bodywork damage, nor that wafting fence post. 

There are silver linings. First, I'll begin 2022 with Fiona re-shod with new tyres and brakes, and a brand new front end and headlamp. She'll be super-safe to drive, and look good too. Second, once this lot is dealt with, there are really no big bills to come in the remainder of 2022; and so I can, to some extent, replenish my savings - the Emergency Fund at least. But my original 2022 savings target is now well out of reach. Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford