Sunday 23 January 2022

Hands dirty in the gutter

About a week ago it rained heavily, and I saw that water was overflowing from the roof gutter that runs along the front of my house. Quite a noisy cascade. Hmm! Time to clear that gutter again.

To be honest, I couldn't remember when I'd last seen to it. Maybe three years ago, maybe longer. It's a straightforward job needing but a ladder, a scraper, a trowel and a bucket. I live in a bungalow, so the entire length of this particular gutter was at a non-frightening height, making the job doable by someone (like me) who hates being very far from the ground. In fact I was going to use the tall wooden steps I get up on when I clean the caravan roof - they are a bit heavy, but firm and stable.

And I was in the mood to get up there and get my hands dirty. I was on a roll. I'd just given the front lawn its first mow of the year. A first mow on 23rd January! Last year's was on 21st February. How mild the winter had been - clear evidence of global warming, I'd say. Anyway, I wanted to clear the gutter before mowing the rear lawn. That would then be three major outdoor jobs out of the way.  

The gutter clearing went well. As expected, it was full of damp moss that - no doubt assisted by nesting birds - had rolled down from the concrete roof tiles, plus a lot of silt and leaves. Using the scraper (and, if necessary, my bare fingers) I loaded this gunge onto my garden trowel and dropped it into the bucket. Easy-peasy. I tackled a few feet at a time, then shifted the steps further along. 

With the job half done, I had nearly a full bucketful of moss, silt and soggy leaves.


The cleared gutter might ideally need flushing out with a high-pressure jet, but I reckoned it was good enough as it was.


The rest of the gutter awaited. If anything, not quite as choked with rooftop debris.


The down-pipe was right at the end. And not so choked with leaves as I thought it might be. 

The entire length of the gutter dealt with, I filled a bucket with water, and poured it into the gutter. (Well, most of it. I managed to slosh a fair amount onto myself) Oh dear - it didn't all drain away. But I think this was more to do with the gutter sagging somewhat halfway along, than because the down-pipe might be blocked. I probably needed a new gutter, and perhaps a new down-pipe, but I wasn't yet ready for the expense. It would have to await the day when the house got its long-overdue TLC. 

Despite the so-so result of my labours, I was still pleased with myself for getting on with this task, because I am absolutely not a DIY enthusiast. I have no skills whatever, and no interest in acquiring any, nor any motivation to be personally hands-on. Plus, as mentioned, I am fearful about getting up on ladders or tall steps. Mowing, shrub- and hedge-clipping, and washing my car and caravan are pretty well all I ever attempt out of doors. 

I'm not proud of being so useless. In fact I would feel ashamed if Mum and Dad's ghosts paid me a visit, to see how I was getting on, and whether I was looking after house and garden properly. I might get a few brownie points for tidiness, but they would be aghast at what I had done to their beautiful rear garden. The last thirteen years have seen all of their careful and colourful gardening undone. I had to simplify what I inherited, to make garden maintenance easy for myself. The front and rear gardens now look very plain. I am sure my parents would shudder to see it, as they gave many so many enthusiastic hours to the garden, with lovely flowers and well-tended bushes everywhere. 

But I have to be practical, otherwise I would become an unwilling slave to gardening, and would never be able to get away on the long caravanning holidays I love so much. 

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in Cornwall I always had to cut the grass in January, and often again in March. That used to raise a smile from 'up country' friends... but with the climate warming, they won't be smiling now! Unless, like so many folk around here, they've turned their lawns into gravel wildernesses.

    Well done, cleaning out those gutters. I suppose I ought to check mine now.

    ReplyDelete

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.