Tuesday 4 May 2021

Second Covid-19 jab missed by a whisker

Would you believe it. A text today from my GP practice to invite me for my second Covid-19 vaccination! A little sooner than expected: I thought this would come no earlier than halfway through the month. They can 'do' me in only three days' time. There's a range of appointments I can book on Friday 7th May. 


But I can't take this up. I'm off to Scotland on the 6th. 

I'll now have to wait at least another five weeks. It's so frustrating. Especially as I was speaking to my doctor only last week, and asked if it were possible to get the jab before I set forth. She said no, I couldn't jump the queue. I accepted that. But as it's turned out, very little queue-jumping would have been involved. 

Oh well. I don't suppose it will make any practical difference if I walk around only partly-protected for the next few weeks. I won't be going to raves, for instance.  

The text had a link which took me to the vaccination-bookings site. If not making a booking, I had to give my reason why not. There were several standard reasons I could choose from, set out on a list. None of them applied, so I tapped on the 'because of something else' option, and completed a box to expand on that. I explained that I had booked a five-week holiday, leaving home on the 6th May, and not returning until the 8th June. And that I wanted to make a vaccination appointment asap after that. Then I had to tap an 'opt-out' button.


I didn't like that 'opt-out' button. I wasn't opting out of having the second jab. I very much wanted it. I only wanted to postpone booking a date and time until I was home again. But in the eyes of the medical world, I will be blameful, for putting a booked holiday before an advised vaccination. I'll be thought feckless and irresponsible.

Worse. For all I know, my records might now be marked 'Covid-19 refuser'. Or that, at the very least, I will need to reinstate myself onto the vaccination programme, with great trouble. Starting again at the back of the queue, jostling with twenty-somethings no doubt. How embarrassing for us both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford