Monday 17 May 2021

Back inside the pub on Holy Island

It's almost two weeks since my last post. I left Sussex on the 6th May, spent three nights at Stamford in the south-west corner of Lincolnshire (but with a Cotswold feel), then moved on to Richmond in North Yorkshire for four nights. And four days ago I shifted to Berwick-Upon-Tweed. 

In all that time, I've been out and about - mostly in good weather - and seen plenty of things that are blogworthy. Readers who look also at my Flickr site will have a sneak preview of what will illustrate posts yet to come. Why haven't I written and published those posts? Because of all the photos taken. I've taken 1,500-odd shots so far on this holiday, and processing them on my laptop has left no time for blogging. But I've made time tonight.

Today was a rather special day. The next big step in coming out of the national Covid-19 lockdown restrictions. After a gap of several months, one could get back inside a pub. Not that I'm much of a pub-goer. But now and then, when out during the day - and especially when on holiday - I will treat myself to lunch at a pub, gin and tonic included. But I'd had enough of the windy-garden experience. I wanted to be inside, out of the weather. 

Where to go for this special event? Holy Island - not far from where I was pitched at Berwick - called to me. I've written about Holy Island before, based on my last visit in 2019. I may do another post on it, as I explored the island rather better today. But this post is chiefly about my pleasure at finally being able to sit in a nice pub. 

I arrived at just after 10.00am. This was only half an hour after the tide had receded sufficiently to uncover the causeway that links Holy Island with the mainland, so the road was wet and fringed with seaweed, although perfectly safe to travel at speed on. According to the table I'd consulted, I'd have until 5.30pm to get off the island before the advancing tide covered the causeway again. I definitely wouldn't be staying that long. But it takes - so I was told - a full four hours to walk completely around the island, although presumably this is at a funeral pace, and includes the sand dunes at the western end. If you keep to the grassy bits, where sheep graze, three hours would surely be more than enough. As it was, I wouldn't be able to do even a short circumnavigation before noon (when the pub I had in mind opened), but I could still go much further around the coastal fringe than ever before. And I did. Over 10,000 steps worth. 

It started off bright but cloudy. Here I am, pre-pub, making my way anticlockwise around the island's coastline, with Lindisfarne Castle in the background:


It soon got a little sunnier. I had to put on a spurt to get back to the pub at noon, and it was warm work. The green hooded Seasalt raincoat came off. 

Surprisingly, there wasn't a jostling melĂ©e trying to get inside the pub. I didn't have to elbow, punch, slap, head-butt, kick, gouge, stab, claw and bite to gain entrance. I had the interior almost to myself. That changed as people gradually drifted in after me; but clearly nobody else had worried (as I had) about not getting a lunchtime meal and something to go with it. 

The pub was called The Crown and Anchor. It looked out at the ruined Benedictine Priory, with the Castle in the distance.


Well, I was in. It was friendly and comfortable. I chose a good table, took off my face mask, and gave my order. My gin and slim soon arrived. 


Cheers!

It was such a novel experience, enjoying a meal and a drink inside a pub again that I was moved to send a solemn text to my friends in Sussex:


Afterwards, I walked about a bit more. It was lovely to feel the warmth of the sun.


I did a bit more of the coastline, then headed back to Fiona. An early-afternoon kip in the caravan was indicated! Ah, lazy days...

1 comment:

  1. I had my first 'inside' meal on Thursday at Nando's in Cheltenham. It truly felt very 'normal' to be back indoors, despite online ordering at the table and unenforecable restrictions on how many of us could congregate in the ladies' toilets.

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford