Monday 26 April 2021

Shelf life

Arriving home from my Lyme Regis holiday last week, I saw that the shelf fixed to the side of the wardrobe in my caravan hadn't survived the journey. 

It was supported by metal struts that were in turn screwed into the wardrobe, and the mechanism allowed you to fold the shelf down if it was in the way. Otherwise its obvious function was to be a flat surface to place a small TV on. I didn't use a TV in the caravan, but was so strapped for horizontal space that I'd always found this shelf indispensable for all kinds of things. Here it is in shots from 2013, 2015 and 2018:


This shelf was original equipment, part of the caravan when buying it in 2006, and it had generally been left unfolded, in the position you see it in the photos, whether pitched or travelling. It had put up with some 30,000 miles of towing over the last fifteen years, and all the bumps and jolts must have taken their toll. Gradually the screws that held the metal support to the side of the wardrobe had loosened, and in recent years I'd had to tighten them up two or three times a year. But this time, they had finally lost their grip on the wood, and the shelf had collapsed. 

You can see the way the shelf used to be supported a bit more clearly in this 2015 shot:


I should mention that on the other side of the wood panel into which the metal shelf supports were screwed - inside the wardrobe, that is - was a box for various electronics, such as those for the heating controls. I dared not simply reposition the shelf and attempt to make new screw-holes. I didn't want to risk disturbing the electrics behind the panel. 

On the other hand, I didn't want to be without that shelf. It was too useful. So (having removed the metal struts) could it be supported in any other way? What if it rested on some firm structure? Something that blended well with the decor of the caravan? Something wooden, for instance? It would have to be a smooth structure that wouldn't dent, fray, or otherwise harm the fabric of the mattress and seating backs. 

I remembered that I had one of those IKEA chairs in my attic, presently half-dismantled, and wondered if its lower half would work as a shelf support. I got it down and tried it out:


You can see what I was aiming at. The shelf would be placed on the armrests. But (a) the armrests were too wide, at least with that cross-piece bracing them, and sloped a little, so that the shelf wouldn't be completely horizontal; (b) the chair was in any case a bit too heavy and space-intrusive; and (c) I didn't like the way its base distorted the mattress it was tucked under. But I could imagine how two more slender U-shaped supports might, in a similar fashion, provide support for the shelf. 

Still, there was a much simpler way - just rest the shelf on some kind of lightweight box, such as a plastic storage box. 

Off I went to Homebase and B&Q. But I couldn't find what I wanted. Back home again, I looked in my garage, and then in my attic, for alternative boxy articles that might do the job. And I found an old picnic cool-box I never now used. I'd had it for donkey's years. It was coloured beige, so it would blend very well with the caravan fabrics. It was stout but not heavy. I tried it out in the caravan. A perfect fit for the space on top of the mattress, and a steady platform to place the wooden shelf on. I wouldn't need to fix the shelf onto the upturned cool-box in any way - so it could all be dismantled and properly stowed away for travelling. 

I discarded the cool-box's brown lid and carrying handle, and sawed off the side lugs for the handle, so that they wouldn't dig into the fabrics. 

Voila!


The shelf now rested a little lower than before, but that didn't matter: at night I could still use the small box with the blue lid to hold a corner of the curtain over the intensely bright battery-condition light, which would otherwise be distracting when trying to get off to sleep. 

Here's how the shelf will support my Ruark radio and JBL speaker when the caravan is pitched. It's all nicely solid, and won't tip up:


So, another wear-and-tear problem dealt with! 

Over the years, I've had to sort out quite a number of things in my caravan, as its fittings and gear wear out or come adrift, or I see a way to make a practical improvement. I didn't do much of this in the early years of ownership, in case I needed to sell the caravan. But for a long time now I've cherished my caravan as a holiday asset, to retain until it falls apart (or I do), and I've been willing to invest money in keeping it not just roadworthy, but pleasant, comfortable and convenient to live in for extended periods. I would have spent a bit on dealing with the shelf, but of course it's really nice that the fix has cost nothing. And that I've repurposed something that was just stored away. I'm well pleased. 

All set now for my next holiday, starting 6th May. The Lyme Regis jaunt was a mere shake-down, a curtain-raiser for 2021. The next outing will be the big one for the year - to Scotland, Northumberland and Norfolk. A five-weeker. Just as well the shelf failed before I went! It would be irritating to contrive a repair while away. Although I dare say I would have improvised some solution like this. I'm getting very used to making do with whatever I have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford