Friday 1 December 2023

One more post on this before moving on

Although it might seem a topic of very limited interest, my posts on number plates have generated some positive reactions. So one more. Then I want to write about something else.

I've just written an email to my friend Coline in Scotland, explaining that the SHE in my personal registration refers as much to my new car as to me. If passing drivers could somehow guess the name of my car, they'd surely agree that SHE was a reasonable contraction of SOPHIE. As it is, they will probably think it refers to the withered old crone at the wheel. Hey ho. 

To round this topic off, some readers may have wondered why I haven't simply gone for a plate that spells out either my name (so some variation on LUCY) or my initials (so a plate that includes LM). The simple answer is that nowadays 'Lucy' is quite a popular name, and the best takes on it have either already gone, or are on sale at ridiculously inflated prices. This one, for instance, which I spotted a short while back:


In common with all plates that were used before the current style was introduced in 2001, this example carries a 'vintage premium' and would therefore be a bit more costly than anything more modern. Still, the LUCY element is clear. Even the string of 3s is pleasantly eye-catching. 

But even so. Almost £6,000? I'll pass. £6,000 would buy me many other things. I'd prefer to have those instead. Or just save the money for the inevitable repairs and replacements that will crop up if you're a homeowner. 

Besides, SHE flies the flag for lady drivers in general. It's not egotistical, and doesn't give my name away. I'm inclined to some caution here. I've got a feeling that in the wrong time and place it might be unwise to name oneself too clearly. I don't want to park my car in some unfamiliar town, and return to find it damaged by some vandal who had a grudge against all females named Lucy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find a post especially interesting, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments in Blogger. Too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below is superfluous - it simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.