Tuesday 19 December 2023

New boots

I've had mixed luck with boots, or at least that used to be the case. In search of elegance, I seemed always to buy boots that looked good but didn't really fit me properly. In other words, I needed more wriggle-room for my toes, and a wider fit to accommodate the way my feet had spread out over the years. Boot makers didn't have my feet in mind when designing their winter offerings. So I tended to discard any boots I bought, and revert to ordinary shoes. In snow and ice, it had to be wellies.

That changed a bit when I bought my tan-and-brown Dubarry boots back in October 2011. Here they are, just unpacked and yet to be put through their paces:


And here I am, wearing them in deepest West Sussex for what might well have been the first time. They wouldn't look much different now, in 2023.


They were substantial, really in the nature of posh wellies, and like wellies only suitable for shortish walks in the cooler months. I once did several miles in them on a warm day in June 2013, in hilly country just inside the Scottish Border, starting at Saughtree and walking to the site of Riccarton Junction and back. Certainly there was rough ground to cover, but the muscles of my legs were protesting by the time I returned to Fiona, and my ankles developed a heat rash that lasted a couple of days. A few months earlier, in October 2012, in more suitable weather, I'd walked the Tarka Trail in them from Fremington to Instow in North Devon. And yes, they let me wade cheerfully through deep puddles (it had been raining), but I was footsore by the time I got to the bus stop for the ride back to Fremington. These occasions taught me that my Dubarry boots were best kept for short rambles in the New Forest and suchlike. 

And in that limited role they have proved durable and very useful. They are still my go-to knee-length boots for any kind of wet (and likely muddy) conditions, when boots more suitable for town streets might get spoiled. If the terrain is especially rugged or demanding, then of course the Alt-Bergs always carried in Fiona (and now in Sophie) will be donned, along with special socks. 

As regards 'town' boots, my last three purchases have in fact been successes. I finally learned my lesson, and ensured that they fitted very comfortably in the shop, and did not kid myself that they would 'give' and become roomier to wear in due course. In my experience, well-made footwear keeps its shape and never 'eases'. Tight-fitting boots and shoes are simply a waste of money. 

So here's a shot of the black calf-length boots which have now had their day and are kaput. I bought them in November 2018 from Hotter, and this next-day shot has them lined them against the short boots by Clarks that I'd been wearing for several years beforehand:


The only thing wrong with the short Clarks boots was that the soles had worn thin and were letting in water - a fatal defect, of course. They were binned as soon as I bought a replacement. The calf-length Hotter boots were not only leak-free, but kept my lower legs warm. I also loved the crinkly soft leather look. Definitely nicer! Here are some 2018 shots which show how pleased I was.


And for the last five years those calf-length Hotter boots have given me outstanding service as smart and comfortable winter footwear. I have looked after them. There's not much in the way of obvious deterioration showing in these very recent 2023 shots:


But inevitably the soles have become thinner, and have now cracked, letting in moisture. 


Time for another replacement. Despite my current cold, I decided to drive down to Eastbourne. That was where the nearest Hotter shop was. I was after another pair of calf-length black boots. Well, Hotter did have boots in the style I wanted, but were now using a different last and I wasn't quite happy with the wriggle-room for my toes. I mean it was all right; but it needed to be very good, or I'd not buy. But they had several likely-looking short boots. I decided to try those. After all, short boots in one style or another were currently 'in', and there was no harm in following the prevailing fashion if it suited me. In the end I decided to buy a pair of lace-ups. I very much liked the look of them, and they fitted very well. Here are some back-at-home shots:


These were £95. The calf-length boots I first tried on would have cost £139. So quite a bit saved. And I can still look for calf-length boots in the New Year sales, if I want to. I'm guessing that one thing behind the current popularity of shorter boots is the lesser cost - important when people are reluctant to spend too much. Not that longer boots have lost their appeal - they are naturally more 'special', and add something important to a woman's allure - but, sadly, their price now makes them something of a luxury item.

I was sad to see my calf-length Hotter boots bite the dust. But there was no point in keeping them if they leaked. Still, that soft and supple leather in the crinkly upper parts might be salvaged for other uses! So I have carefully cut it off for future use. Perhaps to make another, larger, slip-on cover for my next phone?


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find a post especially interesting, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments in Blogger. Too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below is superfluous - it simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.