Saturday 12 February 2022

In the Lotus position

Sue (one of my local friends) and her husband recently bought a Lotus sports car to add to their fun-car stable - it follows their purchase of that 1970s toy racer, the Fiat X1-9, Anyway, after our usual Friday-morning pilates, she drove herself to our lunchtime countryside venue at The Cock in Wivelsfield Green, parking nearby. Meal over, she asked me if I'd like a quick spin. Oh, yes please! 

Jo and Valerie were content to chat in the pub while I had my ride. I waited in front of the pub. Sue soon roared up and invited me aboard.


I wasn't quite sure which Lotus this was - the Evora? - but it was yellow-green and sporty. The hard top had been taken off. So our spin together would be full of fresh air and wild hair. 

Sue explained that getting in or out was difficult with the roof in place. Well, it wasn't easy even with it off, as the floor pan was so close to the road, and there weren't more than a couple of places to grasp the car with while I flopped in. And how was I going to get out? Never mind! At least there was lots of foot-room. The seats were, however, decidedly firm compared to Fiona's sumptuous versions. And lateral room was tight: we had to sit very close together. I felt somewhat wedged in. On the other hand, this was probably a Good Thing for rapid progress along winding roads and around sharp bends!

Off we went. Even keeping to the village speed limit, it seemed fast! For one thing, being so close to the road surface made the world gallop towards us. So very different from the elevated driving position I have in Fiona.


Sue was obviously enjoying herself immensely. It was definitely a car to make you smile.


And out on the open road, our faces said it all.



We weren't really going that fast. 55mph at most. But the big engine behind us was loud and throaty, and the rush of the wind suggested twice the speed. And the car handled so well. 

Back at the pub, my exhilaration was such that I'd quite forgotten what a challenge it might be to get out onto the pavement. Baling out sideways wasn't an option as it might be with, say, a gull-winged DeLorean. No, I heaved myself up, plonking my bottom onto the wide side-ledge to my left, and from there pulled and swivelled myself into a standing position. No doubt it would, with practice, be easy to pour oneself in and out of this car in a single graceful movement. 

After I waved Sue goodbye, I pondered whether I would ever buy a car like this. The answer was a predictable no. I just liked big, spacious, practical cars that had plenty of comfort. Even if I gave up caravanning, I'd still want such a car. I put carrying things and being cossetted well above being thrilled. 

But that's just my personal preference! I can still see that a car like this Lotus makes fast and skilful leisure-driving an addictive experience not to be sniffed at. 

Although he's driving an older Lotus, the chap in the video embedded in this online review for AutoExpress really puts over what owning a sports car is all about, and why it gives him so much pleasure. Recommended viewing. Here's the link: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/evora/352757/new-lotus-evora-gt410-2020-review.

(My shots were taken with Prudence, my phone, and not with Lili my Leica camera. I think Prudence did a pretty good job)

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford