Tuesday 16 February 2021

My first Covid-19 vaccination

I was booked in for 2.10pm at Clair Hall in Haywards Heath, but I arrived early and it was all over by 2.00pm. I then had to wait for 15 minutes in my car, and if nothing untoward had happened to me, I was free to drive home. Nothing untoward occurred, and I was soon home enjoying a post-vaccination cup of tea.

I had expected an efficient operation, but it was even slicker than I'd thought possible. 

I'd turned into the entrance to Clair Hall, and was stopped by a man who told me where to park and what to do next - which was to join a short queue at the entrance to the complex. There another man asked me a series of questions about my general health, and satisfactory replies got me an explanatory leaflet, a white information sheet about the AstraZeneca vaccination (the one I would be having), and a ticket with a number on it (it was '207'). I was then passed to a girl who squirted anti-bac onto my hands and directed me to the threshold of a large room containing a dozen or so well-separated seats that could easily be wiped as they were vacated. But first I had to go to a desk and confirm who I was, state my date of birth, and show the white sheet. A pre-printed sticker with my name, date of birth and NHS number was then put on that, and I was directed to one of the seats. 

Meanwhile numbers were being called out. As I sat down, 199 was called. I wouldn't have long to wait. (In fact only a few minutes had passed since I had got parked) 

With this post in mind, I was itching to take a photo or two of the proceedings. But it was clearly an inappropriate thing to do. So I just studied the other people waiting for their jab. They ought to be, as I was, from the '65 to 70' age group, plus any younger persons who were clinically vulnerable. But not many of them looked particularly old. It was hard to be very certain, as we were (of course) all wearing face masks, but surely most of the people around me seemed younger and sprightlier? Or had younger-looking hair?

Within five more minutes, '207' was called, and I then had to wait at the threshold of a big hall, full of screens that separated the positions where nurses were going to inject the vaccine. My nurse - who was from a Brighton practice - was called Nicky, and she was very pleasant. We ran though my recent medication, and I answered more questions about my health. Then the vaccination itself. Into my upper left arm - quick and virtually sensation-free. After this, a couple of minutes' chat - I think this was to allow time for any immediate allergic reaction to manifest itself - then I was given a vaccination card, told when I should expect the second jab, and shown the exit. It was by then 2.02pm. I duly waited in Fiona until 2.15pm then drove home.


Once home, I had a good look at my arm to see whether there was any skin reaction. I took a couple of photos in different kinds of light:


But as you can see, there was no mark. I couldn't even tell where the needle had gone in. And there was no sore spot, or growing stiffness, to indicate the approximate position. 

And nine hours later, as I type this, nothing has changed. Still no skin reaction; still no stiffness or soreness. Of course, by the time I wake up tomorrow morning, it may be different. But I've never had any trouble with past flu jabs, and since this one is basically similar, perhaps there will be no physical hardship to endure. 

I must wait three weeks before I can fully rely on whatever protection this vaccination will give me; and I'll need the second jab to gain maximum protection. But even so, I feel immensely relieved already. Indeed, it feels like winning a prize for something. Although I'm not quite sure what! 


24 hours later

Well, there's a very slight soreness in the muscle, if I put my left arm in a somewhat unnatural position. Otherwise, there's still no discomfort, and still no mark on the skin. I suppose the vaccine is quietly going about its business. I feel fine. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got the first one Lucy! Stay safe, well, and happy.

    Btw, I had the same reaction.

    Calie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Calie.

    I think the anti-vaccination lobby are going to be confounded.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford