Thursday 12 November 2020

Shetland revived for 2021. Well, maybe...

I'm now looking at my holidays in 2021. It's been my habit in recent years to visit Scotland every other year, and that means a long journey north from Sussex, and of course another long journey back. But the effort is amply worth it. I love Scotland, and always have. 

I had been thinking of 'merely' going as far north as Fife, then turning south-west and enjoying two weeks in Galloway (which I last went to in 2015), and then cutting across to Northumberland. But I'm now thinking of reviving a more ambitious trip - a dash to Aberdeen, the overnight ferry to Lerwick, and at least two weeks on Shetland. Followed by a return to Aberdeen, and a few days in Fife (Markinch again), then the Borders (basing myself at Melrose, so that I can head for Cumbria afterwards). 

Why two weeks (or more) in Shetland? Well, there's an awful lot of intricate coastline to explore! I want to do it full justice. And really get to know the two towns, Lerwick and Scalloway. I sketched out a pretty full programme in three posts I wrote in 2015 and 2016:

Northwards to Shetland! on 4th July 2015

Trees, Frankie's Fish & Chips and a walk to the northernmost tip on 24th January 2016

An Island Parish - Unst on 11th May 2016

I had intended to do the 'Shetland run' in 2017, but it got put back to 2019, and then shelved. Unforeseen car expenses forced me to take out big bank loans that had to be paid off, and Shetland simply couldn't be afforded. 

But the loans were finally repaid earlier this year, and the pandemic has helped me put extra savings by. I'm now in a good position to go. And I think I should, before the will and energy needed to take the caravan so far fades with increasing age. A trip like this does absolutely need the caravan. I'm talking about a travelling holiday lasting not less than five weeks. I can afford it, if paying £20 a night for a caravan pitch. But not if paying £80 a night for a room. 

It will still be an expensive holiday. These are the 2021 Mid-season costs for the Aberdeen to Lerwick Northlink ferry:

For myself (one adult, with an over-60 concession): £26.55

For my car, Fiona (4.6m long): £118.00

For my caravan (3.7m long; so 8.3m for the car and caravan combo, at £15.35 for each metre over six): £46.05

For a premium outer 2 berth cabin: £139.00

For use of the Magnus Lounge on the ship (it's a long voyage, after all): £18.50

All that comes to £348.01. Add an evening meal on the ship, and it'll be around £375 for just the outward leg to Lerwick. So double that, £750, for the return voyage too.

On Shetland I will expect to pay £20 a night for my pitch. Let's say 14 nights: £280.  

Well, that's £1,000 spent! And there's the rest of the holiday to add. It's all going to come to at least £1,750. Still, I have the money, and it's doable from the financial point of view.

However, there may be a snag or two to thwart my plans. 

Can I get into one of the few caravan sites on Shetland? 

And even if I can, will they be secure enough? 

The two best caravan sites are the Boat Clubs at Skeld in the west of Shetland, and Brae in the north. Their marina settings look great, particularly the one at Skeld. But there's no security like you get on Caravan Club sites. Anyone can wander in and try their hand at breaking into the caravan while I'm away for the day. Local kids, for instance. I wouldn't of course leave anything of value in the caravan - I never do - but they wouldn't know that. They might try their luck. 

Would I fret at what might be happening in my absence? I'll have to think about it. Shetland rarely sees major crime, but petty crime and low-level vandalism are quite another thing. Think bored youngsters in island communities.

I do want to go, but if I can't overcome these nagging doubts about security, then it might be Galloway after all!

3 comments:

  1. Lucy, have you not seen the crime series , Shetland, nearly everyone seems to be crooked or dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coline, I've been an avid fan of the TV series since it began, and I've read all of Ann Cleeves' books that it's based on. Shetland is clearly a dangerous place if you want to stay alive! With the added risk of Jimmy Perez, the police inspector, getting emotionally fixated on you when you get caught up in his investigations!

    Of course, it's fiction. The actual scenery is true, though.

    I think my quibbles on caravan security are not groundless. Nobody is going to steal my caravan on Shetland, but it could be the target for daytime theft or damage, even if it is just one in a line of caravans on the quayside.

    I'm not completely put off going on these grounds, but I'm used to proper security - fences, barrier gates, and Club staff on hand keeping a constant eye on things.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on same page concerning security. Our society's attitude to criminality favours the criminals and forces the rest of us to physically and emotionally pay a high price. Long ago I toured Shetland for a month on a bicycle, my whole life in a few paniers with tent strapped on top. All went well but security fears always spoilt trips like that...

      Delete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford