Wednesday 28 October 2020

Excitements to come when I'm home again

I'm a bit more than halfway through my autumn holiday. I've had eight nights at Great Malvern in Worcestershire, and now I'm in east Dorset, in the forest near Wareham, for seven nights more. Then home for the winter. It's turned wet and windy, as if November has already arrived. It's almost time to hunker down. But for the next week, a touch of the seaside at Swanage and other places.  

Last night, and now this morning too, a spate of emails and texts. 

The Passport Office began by saying that my application for a new passport had been approved. Mixed feelings about that, as the picture they liked did me no favours. Oh well, it's good to know that it was suitable for their purposes, and that there were no other matters that might delay the new passport. 

And they had been quick! I sent the old passport off to them - which they needed before proceeding with my online application - only on 13th October. So they've processed my application in two weeks, not the four weeks they had warned of. That's great. And now, this morning, an email and a text to say that it's actually been created, and is on its way to me by TNT courier! Wow. That's much better than expected.

I don't think I have to be at home to sign for it. If absolutely necessary, I could hop in Fiona and be home for delivery. A six-hour round trip, and a day of my holiday wasted. But the pandemic has put a stop to doorstep signatures in most cases, and there is nothing in the Passport Office's email or text to say that any signature will be necessary. I'm not sure what it ever proved, anyway. The courier never asked to see any ID to show that I was in fact Lucy Melford of Melford Hall. Perhaps it was sufficient that I was obviously the householder, as more often than not they would catch me still in nightie and dressing gown (though not in curlers!). 

So that part of my affairs has gone to plan!

I'm not quite so certain about BT's ongoing response to my cancelling its Broadband service, and the imminent disconnection of my landline, both effective on 30th October, thirty days after my notice was given. 

They've just sent me an email saying my latest bill is ready, but it makes no reference to that double-disconnection. Just that they will take the usual amount by direct debit in early November. This bill does admittedly cover usage up to only 26th October, so possibly it would look like a normal bill, and it's the next bill that will contain all the closure adjustments. We'll see. But it's worrying that they say my Broadband contract ends on 9th December, not 30th October. I wouldn't put it past them to charge me an extra month. I'll be miffed if they can point to some obscure clause in their Terms and Conditions that entitles them to. 

However, I'll have to assume for now that their billing system isn't geared up for the unusual situation where somebody wants to get rid of their Broadband (not just switch to another provider, or tamely upgrade) and, moreover, wants no landline in the future. It's just not a mainstream request. Maybe they'll do a special bill for me after 30th October, and then all mention of 9th December as the end date will be dropped. Maybe. 

These are not the only two homecoming excitements. While I've been away, new kitchen sink taps will have been installed! 

And two days after my return I've got a dental appointment to look at a tooth that is getting sensitive - no doubt a filling there; and maybe I will be adding to my fine collection of crowns. But at least I will have that tooth dealt with before any new lockdown comes into force. 

And then in the following week the caravan goes to the dealer to have a new window fitted. All caravan windows are a plastic double-glazed affair, and like household windows they may eventually lose their seal and develop condensation inside. After fourteen years, this has happened to the big pane at the front end, which gets regularly thumped by windborne twigs and other road debris. I was amazed that it was still possible to buy an exact replacement, but one can be supplied, though it's costing hundreds. The fitting, however, is very quick - literally while I wait. So one more brief outing for the caravan once home. 

Don't ever think my life is humdrum and uneventful. It's all fast-lane stuff!  

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford