Sunday 9 June 2019

Out of my hands

The deed is done: I have sent both my two remaining PPI claims up to the Financial Ombudsman.

I did it online. The form to complete wasn't complex, and not overlong, and it let me explain my side of things in my own words. I made all the points I wanted to. I tried to be succinct. I succeeded in using low-key, neutral language that can only assist my case. I also mentioned the other sides' arguments, and why I thought they didn't carry weight.

I had two trump cards. First: contemporary cash analysis books, which clearly and unambiguously showed the premiums being paid month by month through the years, with of course the amounts involved. And second: to back those analysis books up, all the bank statements for the periods concerned, although I could only attach copies of a few with my claim.

I have retained my bank statements (and other key financial documents) all the way back to 1970. I know that's seems Ultimate Anal, but it occasionally proves very handy - such as in claims like this.

I can at least prove that the premiums were paid, and to whom (the PPI providers' names are printed on the bank statements), and what the figures were. What remains uncertain is exactly what kind of loan-linked policies they were, and what the precise terms were. Neither RBS/NatWest nor Santander have been able to trace the policy documents, and I don't have them either.

It matters because in the 'classic' form of PPI, the policy is supposed to pay the monthly loan repayments while the policy holder is short of money because of illness or redundancy. The lenders in my case each maintain that I had something quite different - a life policy that would repay the entire loan in the case of my death or critical illness - not PPI at all. But without the policy documentation, they can't be sure, and that's the weakness of their argument.

I have stuck to the line that I was forced against my wishes to accept PPI as part of each loan package. I hope that the Ombudsman will agree with me, and will order the lenders to make a refund of the premiums, adding interest.

I've had emails from the Ombudsman acknowledging my submissions, but who knows when I'll get a decision. When it comes, I will abide by it. 'Success' means a bit of money coming my way - maybe £1,500 in each case, or £3,000 in total. 'Failure' means I did not convince the Ombudsman, or he/she felt that the evidence was insufficient to decide one way or the other. Or the Ombudsman, if he/she has dealt with very similar cases, and can fill in gaps in the evidence, may decide that the lenders are right, and I am wrong.

At this stage I actually want closure more than a 'win'. This saga has gone on long enough, and has consumed too many hours of my time. I want to move on.

I suppose that, in a way, there would be consolation to be had from a ruling that I wasn't mis-sold PPI. I haven't at all liked the notion that I was a 'PPI victim'. I would still remain annoyed about having to pay those compulsory premiums, but with nothing more to be done about it, I would put it out of my mind and forget I ever looked into the matter.

One more thing. There's great satisfaction in knowing that I've got this far, and will get a decision, because of my own unassisted efforts. True, I did make my original complaints in January via Resolver, but after that all the effort came from myself. It feels like an achievement to arrive at this stage, having pitted myself against two mighty financial institutions by letter and phone conversation, without being deflected or browbeaten. I feel good about standing up to them.

A positive outcome, with a little cash compensation, would merely be the icing on my grand achievement-cake.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you well. Even if only one of your claims is successful, £1500 is not an insignificant amount.

    My own record-keeping is nothing like as thorough as yours. I remember being offered PPI several times but always refused it. However, if it was sneaked in with other interest charges then it's a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time the final deadline has passed the average TV viewer will have sat through about 10,000 hours of advertisements telling them that they are due a fortune...

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford