Wednesday 5 June 2019

Goodbye BT, hello Voodoofone

I'm being cheeky at Vodafone's expense, just for the sake of a 'clever' post title - and they've done absolutely nothing wrong so far. And I've no reason at all to think it won't continue that way. They have never given me problems with the series of mobile phone contracts I've had with them. Based on that commendable track record, I should have a jinx-free introduction to Vodafone's broadband service, and discover that it's every bit as good as BT's. Only half the price. And with a brand-new router too.

Still, it's been years since I've switched broadband supplier, and this is rather a big leap of faith. If it does go wrong, I may yet start to call them Voodoofone...

So what happened with BT?

I was going to give them a call, have a chat, and encourage them to make me an offer I couldn't resist, just to keep my custom. Not that I was realistically expecting them to match Vodafone's broadband price. But if they had come within a few pounds of it, I'd have probably not switched.

Well, I looked for a number to call. It wasn't clear on their website what that number might be, but eventually I found full contact details on my latest monthly bill. But could I get through? No! I had to join a queue and wait for a person to get round to me.

In a sense I was making that call as a matter of courtesy, giving them prior notice of my departure, and an opportunity to induce me not to go. I didn't have to speak with BT. The days of being made to 'explain why' were gone: I could leave it entirely to Vodafone to give BT notice and deal with all the handover issues.

But I wasn't afraid to speak to someone and make it clear that my only complaint was BT's high prices, and that I was simply playing the game that the communications industry wanted its customers to play nowadays. Which is, to chase new-customer deals, and not stay with a service provider forever. Personally, I am never sure why this benefits the industry in the long run. If everyone gets used to switching all the time, it must drive down income and increase admin costs. I suppose they are relying on most customers being inert, or being unwilling to change horses when, price aside, it's a good horse.

But I couldn't speak with anyone at BT. I waited a couple of minutes to be connected, then a couple of minutes more. And then decided that this was not worth any more effort.

The call abandoned, I immediately placed my order with Vodafone.

Vodafone were offering two broadband deals: Superfast 1 at £22 a month for existing mobile phone customers (I'm one) and Superfast 2 at £27 a month. The only difference between them was the data transfer speed, Superfast 2 being roughly twice as quick.

Which to have? I felt that with Superfast 1 I'd be taking a risk that the real-world data speed would be just a little too slow, leading to snail-paced photo uploads to Flickr and annoying pauses when watching films or catch-up TV. But Superfast 2 ought to be more than adequate, and worth the extra £5. I'd still be paying a lot less than the £50-odd a month that BT would want if I stayed with them.

So the deed is done, and I'm now with Vodafone for the next eighteen months. Immediate emails (they've been quick to respond) tell me that I should have a smooth transfer of service from BT to Vodafone on the 20th June, the new router being delivered by DPD three days before.

BT have also sent a farewell email. They also refer to a handover on 20th June. They mention that I can call them on a special number by 2,00pm on 18th June, if I don't wish to leave after all. Aha, I imagine some people, fearful of taking the plunge, or regretful of cutting ties with an old friend, would make that call and be given a small reward for their change of mind. Not me.

I'm not saying that I'll never go back to BT. I might well do, if Voodoofone mess up. But BT's price at that time will have to be right. Once a price tart, forever a price tart. I'll only be lured back with a deal no gal could possibly refuse. And I won't stay if it doesn't suit me. So there.

Of course, BT have hit me with a leaving penalty, because in strictness my broadband contract with them doesn't expire until 2nd July. According to the terms and conditions - which I have read - they are entitled to what they would have received up to the end of the contract. But I'm paid in advance up to the end of June. So only £7.08 in broadband charges is still due. They are welcome to that, and no hard feelings whatever. They humbly ask me not to cancel my direct debit until they have taken that amount. I will graciously oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford