Saturday 11 February 2023

Only on the level

Today is the first anniversary of my injuring my right knee, getting up from the pilates mat. I'd put all my weight on it and something went 'pop', and although there was no immediate pain or discomfort I knew that the knee had been damaged. Sure enough, within three days it was swollen and stiff, and walking soon became difficult. I had to use a stick, and even with that forward progress was slow, awkward and often painful if I misjudged any step. I dreaded falling over: how would I ever get up again unaided? 

It was all much worse than I'd anticipated. I felt like a proper old crock. Still, with care and careful exercise the knee improved, and by the end of March it was perfectly feasible to load the caravan up and take off for Devon. By that time, of course, the other knee was beginning to complain at having to do more than its fair share in supporting the Melford physique, which was of course hardly sylphlike. But it was all right, so long as I avoided hills and kept my walkabouts short. Slopes could be painful. So far as I could see, the muscles and ligaments of my right knee had been strained, and I knew from previous experience with my knees that healing would take a long time. 

At first the knee felt very odd: it clicked, and generally felt half-disarticulated. But gradually, as 2022 progressed, the knee firmed up and knitted itself back together. I could walk more easily, then walk faster, then without always having to use a stick. By September, when up in Scotland, I could manage quite lengthy walks, so long as they didn't involve any very steep sections. Such as - memorably - Alladale. And along the cliffs of Caithness to view the equally memorable Duncansby Head sea stacks. 

And now, as 2023 gets properly under way, I'd say my right knee is maybe as much as 70% back to normal. I can walk really briskly - but only on level ground. I can't yet manage steepish slopes with any ease. And actual staircases and steps are still a problem, to be tackled only with care. I'm better if there is a rail I can hold onto, and pull myself up with. Sitting down, and standing up again, both sometimes present difficulties, as if the muscles of both legs have lost some of their power. I can't make up my mind as to whether this signifies a deterioration (caused by the knee injury) that I can recover from, or a more general loss of muscle strength now that I'm getting older. The answer to it is surely to keep moving, and not become idle, to preserve what mobility is left and if possible improve on it. 

I am at my physical best when on holiday, for caravanning involves plenty of load-carrying and opportunities for movement. I am not one to just sit around doing nothing! I want exercise, and this combines well with seeking out the kind of photographs I like to take. 

It's heartening to have booked my first four weeks away - in the West Country - and I've planned (and will book very shortly) a string of trips for the rest of 2023, right up to the end of October. I'm not travelling very far this year. No further than mid-Cornwall, South Wales, Lincolnshire and Suffolk. All within about 250 miles of where I live in Sussex. Distancewise, it's a modest programme compared to when I go to the North of England and Scotland. But the number of nights away still comes to a respectable 107. (That may get trimmed a bit, but I hope not)

I expect the average nightly caravan site fee cost will be close to £20, so that's £2,140 to be spent on 'accommodation', if you regard caravan sites as open-air hotels where you bring your own room. Past experience tells me that holiday car fuel (for towing and running around) will be slightly less. Let's say £4,000 altogether for those 107 nights - an average of £37 for each night away, all in. 'All in' because I never count expenditure on food to cook in the caravan, and restaurant meals, and admission to various attractions, as the combined cost of those things is always much the same as when at home.

One nice thing to keep in mind is that every night away means very little electricity, and no gas and water, consumed at home. Now that the cost of these things has become so high, the money-saving I can make when away is significant. In fact I'd claim that if each caravanning night away costs me £37, it's going to be offset by a £7 electricity/gas/water cost-saving, so that the net nightly cost is really only £30. Which makes going on holiday an even greater pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you find a post especially interesting, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments in Blogger. Too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below is superfluous - it simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.