Tuesday 20 September 2022

Starfishie

On with normal life. 

The halfway point of my 36 night holiday has now passed, and I'm starting to make my way home. But there are still 15 nights to come, and plenty left to see. 

I've left the most northerly part of Scotland, but I'm still pretty far north - pitched at Kinlochewe, which lies between Ullapool to the north and Kyle of Lochalsh to the south. It's all high mountains around here, on all sides. Very different from Caithness; very different too from most of Orkney. 

Yes, I had my two days on Orkney! As an overall experience, unforgettable. Photographically, a sorry tale of a day's shooting completely wasted, as I accidentally deleted 340 of the shots taken on the first day, 14th September, in a stupid attempt at midnight photo-work back at where I was staying. I'd had dinner at a very good out-of-town restaurant with a delightful couple I'd met on the ferry from Scrabster to Stromness. Two retired doctors, one of them a professor, from San Diego in California: Nancy and Wulf. After that, I'd driven into Kirkwall, Orkney's 'capital', to take pictures of the Cathedral lit up at night with bright red beams. So I got back latish, and I was tired; I should have waited until morning, but I wanted to transfer the day's pictures from the SD memory card in LXV (my camera) to Verity (my laptop). Indeed, I thought I had. But clearly I nodded off before actually doing it - and then lost the lot when wiping LXV's memory card clean as my next act, ready for the next day's shooting. You can imagine how stunned I was, to discover that 340 irreplaceable pictures had vanished into oblivion! 

It wasn't a complete disaster. I had time next day, 15th September, to re-shoot all the most important locations. In brighter weather than the previous day too. And in less of a rush, so they were better shots. 

It was the loss of the people pictures that hit me most. Of Nancy and Wulf, when I had promised to email the best of the ones I'd taken of them on the ship, and later in their finery at the restaurant, and had to tell Nancy that nothing would now be coming. Of Fiona in the craft shop at Dounby, where I bought a birthday card for my great-niece, and chatted to her while I wrote it. Of Kristen, the postmistress at the post office, where I next went, who assured me that my great-niece's birthday card would get sent south in time. And of more than one fun couple I encountered at the archaeological sites I went to. Standing stones bring out the poser in all of us, especially gigantic standing stones! 

Dounby had long been a place I wanted to see. It has a special distinction. It's the only proper village on Orkney that isn't close to the sea. It's set in farmland, in the flat centre of a big bowl, with hills all around. It's the home of a jewellery-making business founded and run by Alison Moore, diving enthusiast, whose aim has been to create pieces inspired by the Orkney environment, especially the sea and seashore. I didn't know her workshop and showroom was there in Dounby, but I couldn't miss it, and of course I had to go in. (At the time, I took some shots both inside and out, but those were among the ones that got deleted)

I was in the mood to get a souvenir of Orkney. An item of jewellery would be just right. I saw two rings I liked; but in fact settled on a silver pendant and chain. It was a silver starfish - rather a jaunty, cheerful creature I thought. Again, the contemporary shots have gone; but I have later ones taken since. Here they are:


I thought my Orkney souvenir had definite personality. A name was appropriate. 'Starfishie' popped into my mind at once. It sounded Scottish enough. So Starfishie it was. Here I am back at the caravan, wearing my new friend.


Starfishie goes well with the silver slow-worm, and I've been wearing them in combination for the last few days.

If you want a starfish too, or anything else from Alison Moore, she has a pukka website at https://www.alisonmoore.co.uk/. Here are some screenprints:


I haven't yet dipped Starfishie into the sea like that. When I find the right Scottish seashore - maybe tomorrow - I must certainly observe this vital ritual. And make sure LXV records the moment!


Starfishie came in a nice box, with the chain wrapped in tissue, a neat little touch. (I so wish the original on-the-day photos had survived)

Real starfish are voracious sea-floor predators, but this silver jewellery version is something else. Indeed, Starfishie clearly looks like a pointy-headed person running along and waving. Waving: I've never felt the same about that word since reading Stevie Smith's famous poem Not Waving But Drowning when still at school. It made a big impression on me. Here it is:


Not Waving But Drowning

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.


I hasten to add that although I too have been far out all my life - perhaps much too far - I've never yet been in any danger of drowning, whether accidentally or deliberately. And I don't see Starfishie's wave as a metaphor for any cry of despair. Rather, it's a wave of greeting and welcome, of openness, and signifies a zest for life. And that's my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford