Tuesday 23 November 2021

In with the new...

I've recently acquired a rather nice ski jacket from my cousin Rosemary. I was visiting her in Kent last week, and one of the first things she did after my arrival was to offer me this jacket. I thought I didn't need a new jacket, and definitely not something for the piste, but of course I said yes, tried it on, and was delighted with it. Here I am, wearing it for the first time. Rosemary took the picture with Lili, my Leica X-U, in her conservatory:


I'm not sure what colour red you would say it is. 'Light cherry red' maybe. It seems to vary with the ambient light. In any event, I particularly like the white streaks running down from each shoulder to my waist. They emphasise the hips, of course. The jacket is red and grey inside - fleeced - and it's warm and cosy, perfect for the cooler months of the year. It has a hood that (thankfully) doesn't get too much in the way when I'm slinging my bag or camera over my head. It has a smooth-running zip, and the front flap is secured by a series of velcro patches, rather than poppers, so it's quick to do up and undo. The two pockets at the waist are deep - great for thick gloves, and extras like a torch.

Rosemary had slimmed down since buying this jacket, and it was now too big for her. But just right for me. It has become an instant favourite for my countryside and seashore outings. 

Here are some more pictures of the new jacket, and of myself enjoying this stylish new possession. I haven't worn red coats and jackets much before. Well, I think that's going to change!


You can see what I mean about the red looking different in various lights, although the last shot was admittedly taken in late-afternoon shade. 

I now feel very well endowed with winter-grade coats and jackets. This is definitely the most colourful. I will make a point of wearing it as often as possible, but won't flinch to put on something more formal for a special occasion. 

I have to say, I really feel like the 'proper photographer' with this jacket on, and Lili slung round my shoulder or neck. 

And what about the ski slope, you may ask. I don't think so. I've never skied in my life, and it's too late to try now. Besides, my knee ligaments - ruined in the 1990s from too much badminton - wouldn't be able to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.