Thursday 14 May 2020

Alternatives to putting that NHS Covid-19 app on my phone

Once I'd uninstalled that NHS Covid-19 app, the battery life on my three year old phone shot up again to nearly two days. And this was with all the ordinary background use I put it to, which, believe me, is considerable. The thing is always near me, or on my person, and I pick it up to do something with it several times an hour. I would resent having to ration all that usage just to free up power for an always-on app that only warns me of possible infection, and then only if I stay too close to an infected person for too long.

My personal risk-assessment.

Am I ignorant of, or habitually disregard, the social distancing rules? No.

Am I thoughtless about planning where I go, so that I keep finding myself in places where I'm bound to be too close to other people? No.

Do I have people in my life I'm anxious to be physically near to? No. 

Do I ever use public transport? Short answer: no. It's highly unusual for me. 99% of the time, I travel about in my own safe personal bubble: my car.

Am I prepared to be constantly alert to potentially dangerous people-contact? For months ahead? Yes.

I'd say that I'm low-risk for the kind of contact that would register on this app. Not 'no-risk' of course. There will always be unforeseen people-contact I can't swerve away from. So I'd still like to install this app if I can do so without straining my phone's battery. Perhaps I could use the app part-time, activating it with Bluetooth and GPS only when there's a risk of mixing with people at closer quarters than usual. For food-shopping, say. Or when walking around town centres. Or (when it's allowed) eating in a restaurant. To save my phone's battery, this may be the only viable option.

I did look into installing the app on a smartwatch instead. Assuming that's actually possible! But there are snags. The cost of buying any smartwatch isn't trivial. As for which watch, it would be a no-brainer if I were an Apple fan: I'd just get an Apple smartwatch. But I'm in the Android world, and although there's a lot of stylish choice out there, none of it really appeals at the moment. Ideally I'd want to stay with Fitbit (for the quality of their data-presentation app, and the fitness analyses provided), but just now they have no proper smartwatch in their line-up. That could change. Google now owns Fitbit, and I'm sure the next Fitbit-Google watch will be well worth considering. But I've no idea when that might come.

So, for the time being, I'm going to rely on good social distancing habits - exercising constant vigilance and anticipation - to keep me away from infected people. And support this with part-time use of the NHS Covid-19 app when it's rolled out nationwide. It remains uninstalled for now.

1 comment:


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford