Sunday 13 October 2019

Inexplicably groggy

Ever since I had those two vaccinations a week and a half ago, I've felt a little off-colour, and at times a bit groggy. It's not serious, it's not stopped me doing anything, and it hasn't (for instance) affected my appetite. But sometimes it takes more effort to concentrate, and I feel a little light-headed and floaty now and then. And occasionally mildly nauseous, as if sea-sickness were coming on. Yet at other times all is normal.

I can't put it firmly down to post-vaccination fallout. Four days before those flu and pneumococci jabs, I switched HRT treatments, changing from small patches of Estradot twice a week to one big patch of FemSeven once a week. The same dose (100mcg), but a different routine, and one big hit rather than two smaller ones. It may be that the switch hasn't suited my body, and I'm getting kickback.

Other things might account for this. In the past, too much screen work on my laptop - hundreds of photos edited within a few days, say - has had a mild effect. (I don't think it's that, though) Lack of sleep, or not sleeping well, has in the past left me feeling washed-out. (But I'm sleeping normally) Without claiming any kind of allergy, I've definitely become sensitive to eating things I normally avoid, such as bread and pastry, and I consumed pastry in a steak-and-ale pie eaten at an evening quiz just before these symptoms began. (But any effect would have worn off by now)

I think the front runners for my present malaise must be jab-fallout and changing my HRT.

I have pondered the jab-fallout. The sore, red arm went away after a few days. But my blood stream must still be awash with all the extra white blood cells that were produced in response to the vaccinations. That would presumably alter the proportion of infection-combating white blood cells to the oxygen-carrying red blood cells, effectively diluting the supply of oxygen to vital organs, such as my brain. That might account for any mild loss of focus, and the occasional light-headedness.

But a change in HRT routine is just as likely a reason for not feeling completely right.

So I'm presently conducting an experiment. I still have a small stock of Estradot patches, and I'm now using them to see whether I feel better. After one day, I think I do. Mind you, that might simply be because I expect to feel better! Let's see if the apparent improvement lasts.

In two weeks' time, I'll revert to FemSeven. By then any jab-fallout will surely have faded away to nothing. If I immediately feel odd when I go back to FemSeven, then it will strongly suggest that it's FemSeven that's upsetting me.

At least it might as a once-a-week treatment. I could try cutting the large FemSeven patch in half, and applying two halves during the week, to mimic the Estradot routine. The same dose, but two smaller hits.

Would it work? Well, I could give it a go and find out.

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me the fact that we can notice small differences in our ability to function is very positive. For me, it is most obvious when I play a musical instrument after a glass of wine. Having said that, sometimes we are prescribed medications, or have shots, and dismiss the side effects as being temporary, with the danger that we might become used to that detrimental effect of the chemicals. So, well done! Hopefully the experiment with the patches will work out.

    I was looking around and found this article of interest to those with older folks in their lives (or we who are getting close to that age ourselves - hooray for living a long, interesting, and productive life!)

    https://www.brightfocus.org/alzheimers/article/is-it-something-im-taking-medications-that-can-mimic-dementia

    ReplyDelete

If a post especially interests you, you are very welcome to email me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

I no longer allow ordinary comments - too many were just a form of advertising, and I grew very tired of seeing them.

(Google's note below simply means that as the sole author of this blog I am the only person who can now make any comments!)

Lucy Melford

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.