Saturday 28 September 2019

Fiona wounded, but a fine sunset on arrival in Pembrokeshire

A couple of weeks ago I arrived in Pembrokeshire after a two-night stop at Newport on the way, to break up the long journey from Sussex. I hadn't been to Pembrokeshire for ten years, and longed to see it again, and this time by myself. In 2009 I'd been with M---. There were some ghosts to lay. I didn't take the caravan to the same farm site we'd used. I booked a week at the Caravan and Motorhome Club's site near Whitesands Bay, a couple of miles from St David's, the local cathedral city (it's not so grand, really - just an attractive, upmarket village with the senior cathedral in Wales at its heart, which makes it a 'city')

After getting set up, I decided to have a look at the Cathedral and Bishop's Palace at St David's, and then adjourn to nearby Whitesands Bay for what ought to be a fine sunset. I saw there was a fairly direct route to the Palace and Cathedral, using a narrow lane. Turning Fiona into this, I was doing well until a small herd of cows came into view. They were being driven my way by a farmer and his boy.

Well, cows are big lumbering animals who think nothing of taking off door mirrors and denting the bodywork of any car in the way. They can't help it. I needed to get Fiona off to one side. I'd just passed a gateway into a field. I reversed Fiona into it, as snugly as I could, so that the cows had plenty of space to pass by. I'd put my car pretty close to a low stone wall, but congratulated myself on having the skill to do so. The cows slowly went by. The farmer told me that they were being moved from their summer field to another closer to the farm. They had the air of cows who didn't really want to leave their favourite pasture, and they weren't in any hurry. They shuffled along, grazing as they went. But eventually they all passed. I got a fine shot of the brutes' backsides:


I fired up Fiona, and went on my way. Clearly I was approaching Cow City, and had better be wary! There were in fact no further encounters with farm creatures, but I resolved not to use that lane again. 

The sunset was coming along nicely. It warmly lit up the Cathedral exterior.


This is a nice, friendly cathedral, and although not as big as some, it has character and presence. It's easy to get great photos of it from various angles, as it's set in a valley below the main part of the city, and you can view it from above too.  


Inside it was much as I remembered it from 2010. I'd wanted to explore the interior just as before, but something was clearly going on, and only the nave was accessible. There were in fact many more people about than I expected, and more were arriving all the time. Feeling something of an intruder, I could only have a rapid (and discreet) look around. I grabbed some shots, and made for the door. The entrance was suddenly packed with visitors. I had to worm my way to the outside, with many an 'excuse me'. Ah! There was to be a choral programme that evening. That explained the crush - these things are surprisingly popular.

It wasn't my thing, though, and so I made my way back to Fiona and drove on to Whitesands Bay. And it was here that I discovered that I'd scraped Fiona's nearside bodywork when reversing in to avoid those cows. It wasn't dire. But it wasn't a pretty sight.


My poor car! This would have to be dealt with. But it would have to wait until I returned home. Fortunately I knew a local man who would do a great job. 

And it's now all fixed up for two days ahead. It'll cost me £150, but Fiona will be restored to her pristine glory. Which is what she deserves, considering how well she has served me for nine years already. And she will most certainly be my faithful set of wheels for another six years ahead. There is no way I can let her carry scars like this for the rest of our acquaintance. 

It has of course struck me that the £150 spent (and wasted) on those earbuds would be very handy now. Something or somebody is teaching me a lesson!

I wasn't upset for long. A glorious sunset was happening. Lots of other people - many more than show in the following photos - had come to enjoy the scene, and take their own shots. 


Surfers coming out of the water couldn't help looking back to admire the view.


When the show was over, I headed back to the Club site to eat. Fiona was being very brave. I felt very contrite. But if those cows hadn't come along, she would still be unblemished. Well, it was an encouragement to take extra care in the days ahead. (And indeed, there were plenty of narrow lanes yet to come, though no more cow moments)

1 comment:

  1. I feel I ought to send Fiona a 'Get well soon' card, but will leave you to give her a friendly pat on my behalf.

    I love your photos at Whitesands Bay, especially the last one with the sunset colours reflected in the water.

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford