Sunday 3 February 2019

Now I can have stronger bones without penalty

Since writing my last post about choosing between chicken or cheese, I've managed to confirm what I heard lately about Slimming World revising its rules on Healthy Extras. (HEs are to do with having extra calcium and fibre for good health)

These new rules were announced in November 2018, and SW members were briefed about them from 24th December. Of course, no longer belonging to SW, I didn't get the message! But my friend Jackie has now rejoined SW, and naturally she passed the news on to me. She hadn't benefitted much from the rule change, as she'd been consuming things that used to count as HEs but no longer do. But she reckoned that I, as a major milk-lover, would now have some syns freed up, to use on something else.

Indeed I do. 5 syns are now freed up every day, representing the syn value on 250ml of semi-skimmed milk. 

At home - or in the caravan - my normal consumption of semi-skimmed milk has always been 500ml every day:

# 25ml in tea before breakfast, as I wake up.
# 75ml with my breakfast cereal (30g of All Bran).
# 25ml in tea, to finish breakfast with.
# 25ml in tea at lunchtime.
# 25ml in tea with my afternoon snack.
# 25ml in tea with my evening meal.
# 100ml with my late evening cereal (45g of Jordan's Natural Muesli with no added sugar).
# 200ml in a mug, to drink on its own, to finish my late evening snack with.

And semi-skimmed milk was my only calcium-orientated HE choice. 

The HE rules still lay down that 250ml of semi-skimmed milk represents one syn-free 'calcium' HE. But now - with two 'calcium' HE choices to make - I can double that allowance, so that all of my regular milk consumption is syn-free, saving 5 syns.

If I exceed 500ml on any day, the excess will of course be synful. So an extra 200ml in a mug with my afternoon snack would be a 5-syn hit. But that's now perfectly manageable. Even a 30g hunk of cheddar cheese, a 6-syn blot on my daily escutcheon, will still now leave me with a good safety margin for further indulgences. (The daily syn limit is 15)

But I don't intend to relax my regular regime one bit, even though my ordinary daily syn total now goes down from 7 to 2 syns, and 35 syns are freed up weekly for treats.

It will however be good to know that, taking the week as a whole, there is more scope for the odd extra glass of wine, or the odd extra slice of cake. There will be significantly fewer days when I exceed the 15-syn limit.

Keeping my spreadsheets looking green rather than amber or red (the colours indicate the daily outcome) will be a psychological boost, an encouragement. I won't now have to anticipate a dietary shipwreck every time I have a meal out with friends, because those five spare syns will act as a very useful buffer.

That said, I won't go mad. Having more scope to eat and drink doesn't mean that I must.

But it's very pleasing to find that something I always thought was wrong and misconceived - having to restrict my milk intake, when milk is so good for me in terms of its calcium benefits - is now no longer necessary. So I might consider having an extra mug of milk in the afternoon, instead of tea. I want strong bones in my old age!

9 comments:

  1. Please forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but are SW now saying that the 'Healthy Extra A' allowance has been doubled? And if so, has the 'B' allowance also been increased?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As regards Health Extra A items, yes. That's what Jackie was saying, and my own reading of what was on the Internet confirms it. Apparently SW have delisted certain things (like some yoghurt and soft cheese spread) and to ensure that everyone still gets all the calcium and other dairy nutrients they need, they have allowed everyone TWO Healthy Extra A choices. I'm sticking to milk for both my A choices, so it effectively makes my daily 500ml milk consumption entirely syn-free, releasing 5 syns for something else (if I want to do that).

    There is still, however, only ONE Healthy Extra B choice per day.

    And if you are having an SP day (never something I do) there's now a recommendation that you limit your total daily syns to 10, not the usual 15.

    There are winners and losers. But everyone can drink more milk - or enjoy a bit of cheese instead.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doc prescribed calcium tablets, quite a nice taste, with added vitamin D. Each one is equivalent to that found in a pint of milk.

    Perhaps we can manage a light restaurant lunch without too many syns when you next pass this way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly good news, though I frequently fall short of my old 'A' allowance. I know that's not good.

    I found confirmation of the new allowances on the FatGirlSkinny site and got excited when I saw a picture of a large slice of Brie. Unfortunately though (as before) brie and Camembert aren't on the list. O well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I've now had a sneak look at the latest Slimming World book that members get, and it's perfectly true about being able to have TWO Healthy Extra A's but still only ONE Healthy Extra B.

    Commiserations about the brie still being totally synful! As you say, oh well.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voyageoftheeye, thanks for the tentative invitation, but your profile is blank. Email me if you wish - that's in my Blogger profile!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google does love messing with user's accounts! They removed my profile after all these years!.

      Delete
  7. Well, my rules are clear. I won't engage with 'unknowable' commentators with empty profiles who can't be checked out. Sorry.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops. Sorry, voyageoftheeye, I now see who you are! (No pun intended) Consider yourself reinstated and welcome.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford