Friday 5 June 2020

Getting back together

Whatever you may think about the relaxation of the 'stay at home and don't see other people' rules in England, it's fantastic to at last be able to meet up for real, albeit in a garden and with proper attention to social distancing. I was able to do that yesterday. Hosted by Sue, at her home, The Gang met up for a pizza-and-salad lunch with cheesecake to follow, and adequate supplies of white wine and pink prosecco to wash it down with.

Mind you, it wasn't exactly a hot early-summer's day. It was going to be dry but rather cloudy - and breezy. What to wear? I chose this for myself:


The long blue cotton coat would fend off the worst of the coolness, and if it turned warm, that orange top would be just right. You can see it in my face, my pleasure at seeing my friends all together again.

Jackie and I went in convoy in our own cars (we all had to do that; you obviously couldn't take a passenger unless driving a stretch limo), and Valerie arrived soon afterwards, then Jo. Here are Valerie, Sue and Jackie greeting each other with joy, with Sue doing one of those contemporary 'pandemic hugs' where you hug yourself:


Of course, we'd 'met up' weekly using the Houseparty app, but this was a quite different experience, much more like the old days! But not completely - social distancing was paramount, and to assist that, we had brought our own plates, bowls, mugs, glasses and cutlery. I'd brought along the blue-themed stuff I use in the caravan.

Sue and her husband Dave live further out in the sticks than I do. They also have a lot more space in their garden. Plus a sunny patio with a big round table, so that we could sit around it well-separated.


It was a substitute for our old-times Girls' Friday Lunch - so no men - but Dave did join us for a few minutes to make sure that we were properly distanced, whipping out his tape measure:


A toast all round!


The food was simple but tasty. I hadn't had such synful stuff since mid-March. This is how I loaded my plates:


Three hours passed. As you can see from that bottom photo, by dessert-time the sun had come out and shadows had appeared. It also warmed up. 

'A new era!' I remarked, and all agreed. We do long for lunch at our old favourite haunts, but meanwhile it's so nice to get together again in small numbers in a large garden. I do hope there are no consequences in the infection department. The next few days will reveal whatever is to be revealed. Assuming we are all in the pink of health next week, Jo is reprising this event in her garden. Then Jackie, then me.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford