Tuesday 12 May 2020

The NHS Covid-19 tracking app

For some days now residents of the Isle of Wight, a large island off the south coast of Hampshire, have been able to download and trial the new NHS Covid-19 tracking app. The trial continues. All we know so far is that at least 55,000 downloads have taken place, which is a decent fraction of the number of phones owned on the island that are suitable for the app. The authorities are hoping for a 60% or better take-up, and I'd say they are likely to get it.

The app can't be used anywhere else just yet, but I was still very curious to see whether I could get it on my own phone in advance. This would put me in pole position, as a general-release user. It would also avoid any mad installation rush when it goes nationwide.

I use a Samsung phone which runs on Android. However, as the nationwide release was still pending, it wasn't yet on Google Play. But I had a look at the NHS Covid-19 website instead. And lo, there it was.


That yellow top banner was a warning that the app was useful only in the IOW so far. But it didn't say you couldn't download and install it if you lived elsewhere. After all, you might live in Southampton, Portsmouth or Lymington and have reason to travel to the island - in which case, the app would be 'live' while there.


There you are: the NHS were urging you to put it on your phone.

I scrolled down, and there was plenty to click on, including a video explaining how the app worked and why you should install it.


I watched the video. Here are some of the scenes.


It's a bit ingenuous for the video to suggest that the contact details are anonymised. They will know it's your phone, and trace you from that. But hey, you get a timely warning of possible infection, so that you can self-isolate before passing the infection on, and if need be order a home testing kit. Given that, who cares about the privacy angle?

There seemed no issue about at least installing the app. So I tapped the 'Get it on Google Play' button and ended up with this on my 'health-related-apps' screen:


During the installation process I had to agree to (a) load NHS cookies, (b) provide the first half of my postcode, and (c) switch on Bluetooth and Location Services. Yes, both: I thought it would only be Bluetooth...


Hmm. Having these two items on all the time - as well as NFC - will really hit the phone's three-year-old battery - how much I don't yet know. I can at least find out before the app goes live nationally. With normal use, I get well over a day on one charge - occasionally nearly two days. I suppose a few hours less won't matter. I go into Flight Mode at night anyway, so that my sleep isn't disturbed by messages and notifications. That will save power. It will also disable the app, but of course I won't be getting near to anybody, nor they to me, while I'm in the land of nod.

So this is what you see when you tap on the app:


At the top, confirmation that it's working properly. Then an exhortation to follow current advice. Then a question: how am I feeling? If I'm not feeling well, the app will ask me more questions, and use my answers to either reassure me or direct me to appropriate help and treatment. If I'm well, then there's nothing more to do, and I can close the app and carry on normally. In practice, I won't need to open the app unless I feel one or more of the symptoms. 

I wonder what actually happens if someone who also has the app installed, and proves to be infected, comes close and our phones detect each other? Unless he or she has already reported symptoms, or has been tested and shown to be infected, nothing immediately. But at any time in the future a warning will be sent - a voice call? - a text? - and then I'll have to react.

Let's hope it doesn't happen at an embarrassing moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford