Wednesday 17 October 2018

The new glasses

I picked up my new glasses this morning. They are very comfortable and - vitally - the varifocal lenses are pin-sharp. My goodness, all the things around me now look so very clear and distinct!

This said, these new glasses will take some getting used to. They are a big change from my old glasses. But I do like them: they are - well - more stylish than the old glasses, more interesting, and I think they do something good for my face. These are not the specs of a tired and timid Old Age Pensioner, ready to fade away. They declare that the wearer is alive and kicking, drives in the fast lane, has plenty to say for herself, and doesn't let anyone push her around!

I've had some instant feedback from friends Jackie and Jo. Jackie's first remark - and she was standing close to me, at my front door - was 'Oh, I like those!' and then she added, 'They lift your face!' Jo had a look from a few yards off (she was getting into her car) and called out to say they looked great. Jackie and Jo were on their way to the ASK Italian restaurant in Burgess Hill, and had rung my doorbell in case I could come too. Unfortunately I'd just finished eating a cooked lunch. A pity. I was now absolutely in the mood to join them.

Before that, I'd been in Waitrose speaking to two members of staff who knew me, and neither was embarrassed or at a loss when I drew attention to the new specs. Ditto when conversing with Eddie and Peter at the butchers. So the new eyewear must look natural. I hope so.

Of course, I can now show a few selfies. See what you think.


The frames have that trendy 'cat's eyes' shape. The colour is reddish-purple - similar to the strap of my Fitbit, albeit darker. There's no bling or other twiddly decoration to spoil the clean, sharp lines. The larger lenses mean that more of my surroundings are in clear focus, which should help avoid bumping my head or stubbing my toes so much. They also make my big nose seem less obvious.

At the moment I think I look like a high-powered PA, or a no-nonsense schoolteacher. Someone confident and pushy. That's not bad, but it might be off-putting to some! We'll see.

Incidentally, my hair stylist didn't go mad with her scissors a few days ago. That severe fringe line is my own misguided work. I made the mistake of trimming a few strands myself, so that they didn't go into my eyes. Silly me! I was in a rush to go out, cut too much off, and didn't feather the result to soften it. Yes, it looks awful. What a good thing the new glasses will distract the gaze from my fringe, as well as from my nose!

I'll just have to let my fringe grow again, and then face the music with Morgan (my stylist since 2009) who has chided me before about tinkering with my fringe line. She's right. But I seem never to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford