Tuesday 19 January 2021

Drumming my fingers

Grrr. 

I really hate waiting around for things that should be here, but are not, and I can't find out where they are.

This is the case with the delivery of my new phone. 

I ordered it from Amazon late on Saturday evening. Would they do anything much on Sunday? Why not? Don't they operate 24/7? 

But the order stayed in limbo for all of Sunday. Amazon finally told me it was 'dispatched' late on Monday evening. The 'expected' day of delivery - using Royal Mail Special Delivery (which I think is supposed to be 'next day') would be today, Tuesday. 

But it's now gone 3.00pm, and no sign of any Royal Mail van. No ring of my front door bell. And there will be a ring, because I have to 'sign' for the parcel - or at least I would in ordinary times. I suspect that all the delivery man will do is place the parcel on my doorstep, and then wait for me to open the door and confirm my identity. He'll want to stand back to maintain proper social distancing. That's fine, but let him come soon.

Meanwhile my day is on hold. I'm stuck at home and can't go out. I dare not get any outdoor exercise, not even for a few minutes, in case the delivery van calls while I'm away from my house. 

I've tried doing all the usual things that seem to bring people to my front door at awkward moments - you know: cooking a meal, going to the loo - to no avail. I can't track the progress of delivery. Amazon can tell me nothing more, now that the phone has been passed to Royal Mail. And Royal Mail haven't been in touch to confirm that they do have the parcel. When I put the tracking number in, they tell me there's no information at this time, and can I try 'tomorrow'? Tomorrow? It's supposed to be due today. Should I prepare myself for yet another day spent waiting around? You can see why I'm annoyed.

I know that in the last nine or ten months online shopping has exploded, and that consequently there's pressure on all delivery services. But then you'd think that the biggest players like Amazon and Royal Mail would have geared up their operations, and would take the increased demand in their stride. This isn't the hectic pre-Christmas period, after all. It's slack January. 

And look: I've now had an email from Hermes, telling me they have the parcel from Tech 21 that contains the protective case for my new phone. I ordered the case after the phone. It looks as if it will arrive before it. 

Unreliability over delivery times is exactly why I don't often order stuff over the Internet - just as I have always avoided ordering things from mail-order catalogues. I am not at home all day, knitting or baking cakes, or otherwise being a couch potato. I want to be doing things, and going out for some fresh air. I resent having to stay indoors, within earshot of the front doorbell, so that I can't even sweep leaves in the garden. It's frustrating, waiting in vain for deliveries that don't come. 

I had hoped that I'd have the new phone by midday today, and could get it charged up, running, and fully loaded with my personal files by late afternoon. But even if it arrives as I finish this post, I will have to spend all the coming evening setting it up. Not the best time of day for tackling such a task, when everything needs to be carefully done in exactly the right sequence. 

What a dire waste of a day. 

And there's something else that compounds my irritation. Amazon tell me that the phone I ordered three days ago has already been reduced by £15 from the price I paid. And it's now too late to cancel my order and start again. I am not amused.

Grrr.

1 comment:


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford