Wednesday 20 November 2019

A photo accessory for my phone, to make it hands-free

Another day, another gadget...but I think this one will prove very useful. I've just bought a Joby GripTight Mount PRO for my Velbon tripod. It's designed specifically to hold a smartphone.

Now at last I have a way of taking shots with my phone without having to hold it, or prop it up (perhaps riskily) against something. I can use my trusty tripod.

Three upcoming events have spurred me into making this purchase. First, I am shortly going to apply to the local council for an Older Persons Bus Pass, and I'll need an up-to-date photo of myself for that. Second, in 2020 both my Passport and Driving Licence expire, and they too will need an up-to-date photo of myself. Whether on film and printed, or digital and printed, or just left digital for uploading, I've been taking my own photos for these exacting purposes since the 1990s, and a tripod is definitely required. You can't be successful with just an arm's-length snap.

I used to do it with a real camera; nowadays I use my smartphone.

The technique is simplicity itself. I set up a draped blanket as a neutral backdrop, behind a chair to sit on, with my phone on a tripod in front of me, set up to take a selfie in 'full-screen' mode. This produces the same kind of shot - in 35mm photography terms - as using a 52mm lens. That's a 'natural' shot with no facial distortions - no accentuation of nose and chin, and none of that flattening of the face you can achieve with a short telephoto lens. I fire the shutter with a voice command ('Shoot!'). A short delay on the self-timer gives me a few seconds to get my expression right before the photo is actually taken. I then repeat all this, taking in all a dozen-odd pictures; then decide which is (subtly) the best, and use that.

Here's the set-up in 2016, using a real camera (it was the Panasonic LX100 I had at the time):


I was taking a photo of myself for a railway Photocard. This was the outcome. I cropped it for the Photocard. Need I say that this was the buxom me, before joining Slimming World? Within a year, I looked a lot more svelte.


I can do the shooting in daylight or in artificial light, but daylight is preferable. Of course, few of the short dull days of late autumn provide good light for a portrait shot, but the odd day will be bright enough, and it's worth waiting for the right day. After all, the chosen 'best shot' will be my 'official photo' for a long time to come!

The only thing lacking in my line-up of equipment has been an adjustable gadget to hold my phone securely onto the tripod. Now, thanks to a trip to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill, I have that missing item.

Here are some pictures of my new phone holder - in its Joby box, and then fixed to my tripod.


(Yes, it's the wrong way round for a selfie. I soon realised my error)

A tripod always allows a steadier, crisper picture than holding the phone in the hands ever can. It's essential for time exposures, and I expect that I will now attempt some shots at night, perhaps with the moon as the source of light. What fun!

In particular, using a tripod lets me take photos and still keep both hands free. Until now, I haven't been able to take the following kinds of shot with my phone, unless someone else has held it.


I don't have to use the large (though collapsible) Velbon tripod for everything. I've just discovered that I still have an exquisite little screw-together aluminium tripod made by Minox, which I bought twenty-five years ago for my little Minox GT-E folding pocket camera. Here it is - in bits; screwed together for carrying; and set up for holding the phone steady on a table.


That little Minox tripod will fit into my bag, and would be great for group shots - with myself included - in some restaurant. Just in time for Christmas!

It will also do for watching TV, not so much at home (where my proper TV or my laptop would be a better choice), but in the caravan.


The cost of the Joby phone holder? £24.95. That's not cheap, I admit, although the cost is on par with what you generally need to pay for photo accessories. And it's fair to point out that a set of decent 'passport photos' from almost any source would cost much less. But this is a one-off expense, and it will give me much-needed shooting versatility. It will also last me forever, with many repeat uses - unless the basic shape of phones changes radically!

2 comments:

  1. Lucy, you are only the first person I have ever come across who also had that Minox folder. I loved mine, it was so small it could go everywhere and it was many times faster to use than a modern electric camera, progress hey? Sadly mine gave up because of a stupid design fault which a camera repair guy warned me about, the wire which flexed every time it was opened was not a braided wire and he guaranteed that it would fail and it did...

    Who would have thought we would be living through an age where even the idea of carrying a camera is practically unheard of. Perhaps one day I shall try out one of the new fangled phonecameras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you can one with a decent zoom lens!

    The major benefit for me in using a phone - apart, of course, from the sheer convenience of carrying around a slim, lightweight picture-taking machine that can reside discreetly inside my bag - is the large bright screen. As a glasses-wearer, squinting into a viewfinder is a no-no. Composing a shot - especially in poor light - is so much easier on a phone screen.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford