Sunday 6 October 2019

Blimey, they sold!

Just now I checked eBay and saw this:


Yes, I did put those RHA earbuds back on eBay, starting at £25. The bids came in steadily, and last night the best bid was £56. I'm delighted with £80.

Why the 'blimey'? Well, I hadn't used eBay for a long while, and I'd forgotten how effective it can be as a platform for selling things you have put aside and don't use. So I'm astonished! I'm now wondering what else I might sell.

I offered to pay the postage on this item, so that must come off, and eBay will take a fee, but I should clear £70 or so, which would represent 47% of what I paid for these earbuds back in August. I'd say that's a pretty good outcome, and the money will help cover the cost of getting Fiona's scraped wheel arch repaired. 

So, tomorrow morning - once the buyer has paid - I'll be down at the local post office with the earbuds all boxed up and labelled, ready for dispatch by first-class post. 

Do I have any pangs? Not one. I'm really pleased that the buds are now going to somebody who will fully appreciate them. 

Update same day, a few hours later
The buyer has paid! Right: it'll be a packing session tonight, and a visit to the post office tomorrow morning. 

One unexpected thing - eBay have asked PayPal not to release any money to me for now. I imagine this is because (a) I haven't yet put a 'dispatched' marker against this item (but I will be able to tomorrow), and (b) I have no recent eBay track record, and they can't take it for granted that I will do the right thing by the buyer. I'll probably have to wait until the buyer confirms receipt and that he is satisfied. 

Is this delay actually a snag? No, not at all. This is, after all, just extra money, a kind of windfall. I'm not relying on getting it by any particular date.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford