Sunday 21 October 2018

Without a brass farthing

A curious thing happened two evenings ago. I completely ran out of coins. More than that, actually. I completely ran out of banknotes too. I had no tangible money at all.

I was at a quiz, and after paying for the meal and a drink, just managed to find the right amount for some raffle tickets, totally emptying my purse.

Later on, I realised that in order to park in Burgess Hill next day I'd need a £1 coin. Normally I keep a small cache of coins for parking in Fiona, but I'd run that down to nothing. Normally I'd have a bag full of small change at home - small coins, anything below 20p - but I'd lately taken it all to the local library and popped it into the collection there, and nothing new had started to accumulate.

All because I don't use cash or banknotes much nowadays. Nearly all payments are made with Google Pay on my phone. It's not necessary any more to find a cash dispenser every week - once a month will do, unless for some unusual reason there's a spate of cash payments. But I can use Google Pay for most payments, and so my reserves of notes and coin tend to dwindle, with no urgency about topping them up. But never before have I completely run out.

I had to ask Clive (Jo's husband) if he'd lend me a £1 coin. He did, smiling; and I made sure that I paid it back next day. I was by then amply replenished in the notes and coin department - and just as well, for there is £5.60 to pay tomorrow, to get me through the toll on the Severn Bridge. (The toll is being scrapped, but unfortunately not until mid-December)

I won't let this happen again. I absolutely hate having to borrow money, even a small amount, even if I am a stickler for repaying at the earliest opportunity. I was embarrassed having to ask. Going to a cash dispenser on the way to Burgess Hill wouldn't have been the answer - banknotes were no good. I needed a coin of the right value.

Lesson: electronic payments are modern and convenient, but they won't do in many circumstances. Cash is still essential, and you can be really stuck if you haven't any in your purse.

I did at least have ample resources in the background, even if temporarily without notes and coin. It must be more than scary to be truly penniless, and have to beg for money from cold-hearted passing strangers.

3 comments:

  1. I always pay by contactless card on the bridge, Lucy. I presume that Google Pay would also work, though I've never tried it. If you really want to use cash then you'll have to pay at a kiosk as they've dispensed with the coin bins.

    See you soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the change from a £10 note, and I always use a kiosk.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiosk! When in France we sweep through tolls using a very small magic box which casts an electronic spell on the barriers often letting us sail past huge gas guzzlers, queuing up, which had hurtled past us many miles before.

    As for cash, nearly all my carefully accumulated change has been swallowed by the hospital visitors parking machines, wonder if I can shove in £2.30 in copper coins from my poppy jar...

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford