Monday 9 July 2018

Restored

No, not the purged posts! I mean the accidentally-deleted genealogical folder about 'myself from 2014', mostly containing photographs of my world: my home, my possessions, my special interests, and of course shots of myself. Over the last week and a half I've been re-creating that folder, which I rather stupidly wiped from my desktop PC before decommissioning it. I've copied in photos and other things from whatever other digital sources still exist. It's required patience and perseverance, but now it's done.

How much of a restoration?

That's difficult to say. I mentioned before that in March 2015 the 'Lucy' folder then in existence contained 34.6GB of genealogical material. Afterwards, I split it up into three smaller folders. The first two, between them covering my affairs up to 2013, wouldn't have grown any further. Only the folder for 2014 onwards - the one I accidentally deleted - would have continued to get larger.

The three folders (recombined for figuring purposes) now come in at 31.8GB, which is 2.8GB less than it was in March 2015. That means my restored folder (for 2014 onwards) must be light by at least 2.8GB. But of course it has to be more - over three years have passed since March 2015.

I think that if my restoration had been perfect, the three 'Lucy' folders - taken as a whole - would  now contain as much as 40GB. If that's true, then 8.2 GB (or so) is missing from the folder I've just restored. Say about 2,000 pictures.

That's quite a bit. I know that most shots of my cars and caravans for the years up to 2012 have been lost. And I've lost many shots of my home up to 2012 too. But as many as 2,000 of them? Surely not.

Well, I'm not going to do any more work on this. The restored folder is good enough as it is; it will do. And I feel very fortunate to have achieved even a two-thirds restoration.

It's time to move on. I've got posts to write! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford