Sunday, 25 September 2016

They want my loyalty

Although I dislike carrying dross around in my purse, I still tote around a selection of loyalty and membership cards. Let's list them.

Cards that must be considered 'essential', even though rarely or never used
LV/Britannia Rescue car-breakdown card (includes the caravan)
Volvo Assistance car-breakdown card (excludes the caravan)
CSMA Boundless card (ties in with LV for car insurance, and Britannia Rescue)
EHIC medical card

You do need to carry cards like these at all times. They are 'insurance policy' cards for that unpredictable, emergency occasion.

Cards that are often used, and clearly worth keeping handy
National Trust Life Membership card
Caravan Club Membership card

My NT card is my free entry not only to properties and gardens to visit, but to safe, serene places where I can get a light lunch, or afternoon tea, or just reliably pleasant loos. My Caravan Club card is the key to endless easy-to-book holiday breaks all over the country.

Cards where the benefit is questionable
Nectar card
Boots Advantage Card
My Waitrose card
The Waterstones Card
Wroes loyalty card
Darcey loyalty card

Hmmm. Six bits of plastic that would slim down my purse noticeably if I took them out and carried them no more! None of them offer substantial benefits that I would be loath to give up. The main incentives for carrying them are:
# to get a small price reduction on items that I have pre-chosen (Waitrose)
# to accumulate points that can be converted into a small cash credit against the full amount of the bill (Nectar)
# to accumulate points that will wholly cover a particular small purchase (Boots)
The other three cards (Waterstones, Wroes, Darcey) are hardly used. I tend to forget that I possess a Waterstones card, and the other two can only be used in their particular localities (Cornwall, East Sussex). Really it would make no difference whatever to my daily life if I snipped them up and closed the accounts.

The Nectar, Boots and Waitrose cards need a little more thought.

Nectar is a national card points scheme not exclusive to one retailer, although the main place where I get points is Sainsbury's - a supermarket I consider one of the best, but one I don't often use when home because the nearest store is just too far away for convenience. So I accumulate points only very slowly. A couple of days ago, at Sainsbury's in Barnstaple, I used 500 points on my Nectar card (almost the while lot, the accumulation of about a year) to get a £2.50 credit against my food bill at the till. I'm not sneering at £2.50 off. But this little once-a-year saving doesn't justify the nuisance of carrying a Nectar card all the time. I'm reaching for my scissors.

What about the Boots Advantage card? Well, I do go to Boots pretty often, and the points accumulate pretty rapidly. And I find myself in a position to redeem them against small items two or three times a year. I'm not talking about much: over twelve months I might get £15 worth of goods with those points. Still, it does happen, and so I will spare the scissors!

The My Waitrose card is exclusive to Waitrose, and they aim to give the customer something rather different. So you don't accumulate points. Instead you get free coffee (if you have bought something in the store), reduced-price newspapers, and the chance to attend cookery courses and similar offers. None of those things appeal strongly to me. You can also however self-select a range of items to purchase at a discount. Now that sounds worthwhile - but there are four snags: you can only make your selection every few months; you do in fact have to renew your choices every few months; you choose from a changing list that Waitrose put to you - it's not a genuinely unrestricted choice; and you have to do it all online - which is in practice rather a faff, because their webpages are slow to navigate. Given the high level of personal input needed, I find myself disinclined to refresh my choices, and so I'm gradually losing out as one by one my selected discounts disappear. I don't always get even a pound off nowadays. To be honest, it hardly matters to me.

Waitrose of course get a complete profile of what I buy from them. Actually, I don't mind that. I want them to know what my favourite purchases are, so that they will, hopefully, continue to stock them.

So far as I'm concerned, Waitrose have three big things going for them. One: at home, their nearest store is only ten minutes drive away, and I justly call them my 'handy corner shop'. Two: they stock many deli-type things I never see in the other stores. Three: of all the stores I could go to, Waitrose consistently has (for me) the most appealing look, layout and atmosphere, and their staff seem the friendliest and most helpful. That said, from the cash-savings point of view presenting my My Waitrose card at the till, every time, two or three times a week, seems an empty and pointless ritual.

But, as I say, I really do want them to know what I like to buy. And in a sense (note carefully that I am making a mild joke here) that card is a Middle-Class Badge. So that if ever arrested by the police, and called upon to empty my bag and purse at the station, the discovery of a My Waitrose card should assure me of polite and deferential treatment, and an airy cell with canap├ęs, freshly-poured prosecco and flowers in it. I don't think your Tesco Clubcard will get you that.

3 comments:

  1. Waitrose is too scared to venture this far north so our nearest store is the hopeless Tesco. I prefer to use the local shops though smaller to ensure their viability. Tesco knows that I have one of the oldest cards they issued and all they use it for is to see what I buy regularly so that they can stop selling those items! They have recently moved everything about so that it is no quicker to shop there than at a shop which you have never been into before so I am exploring other options when on my travels. They really do know how to disturb their customers.

    One year I emptied the plastic out of my purse before the trip and much never went back in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement to lighten my load!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to throw away my Waterstones, Gardening Club and La Tasca loyalty cards. Beefeater went the same way last month as they cancel all unspent points after one year, so I could never even save up for a sandwich.

    One rarely used card has survived this Lucy-inspired purge. Since leaving Cornwall I've only used my Chantek Restaurant card once but I can't bring myself to part with it. It's card number 007!

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford