Wednesday 7 September 2016

Then there were three

Well this is a shame. I had a set of four Chinese bowls, which I must have bought in March 1992 - I can see them in photographs of my home at that time - so they came into my hands twenty-four years ago. And they survived as a set of four for all those years, first as kitchen decoration and occasional bowls for nuts and crisps; then as cereal and soup bowls, a role they have had for a very long time. All without a single mishap. Twenty-four years!

But now I have broken one. I was doing the morning washing-up, and a Pyrex jug slipped from my rubber-gloved fingers as I was placing it in the drying rack. It fell onto one of these Chinese bowls, and that was that.


As you can see, it was a fairly clean break. If these bowls were merely decorative, then I'd have glued the broken bowl together again. But each of these four bowls is used - several times a week - in both hot and cold situations. At least two of them are washed up in hot water every day. Heat weakens household glue. I couldn't see a repair lasting long. So very reluctantly I interred the broken bowl in the bin, and carried on with just three.

They were expensive, good-quality bowls which I originally bought from a cookshop called Scott & Sargent in Horsham. This was in the period immediately after W--- and I split up, and I was looking to buy some things to add a strictly personal touch to what had been the Matrimonial Home. I had no idea that they would prove durable, and accompany me to a series of homes.

Nowadays, if I'm home, it's normal for me to use them for soup at lunchtime:


Or as bowls to place the ingredients for my evening meal in, pending tipping them into boiling water or the wok:


And if I'm entertaining (too rare an activity, I admit), they are used for desserts:


Now, with only three left, I will have to buy a new set of bowls if cooking for four or more. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford