Wednesday 11 May 2016

A lovely sequel to my post last year on Padstow

This is the sequel I have added to my post on 25th March 2015 titled Padstow 2 - Seats for Dreamers:

'And there's something lovely to add. I'm now writing on 11th May 2016. There was a seat with two plaques side by side, commemorating the lives of Kenneth Whillock and his wife Maraki, whose name had been Maraki Grimshaw before.


KENNETH WILLIAM WHILLOCK
In ever loving memory of my darling husband
He loved Padstow and its views, serving as
a police officer in this area in the 1950's
Born in Lincoln in 1925. Died 24.12.93 aged 68

Our thoughts and love are always with you
Your loving wife Maraki and family

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
MARAKI WHILLOCK
(formerly GRIMSHAW nee DIAMANTAKI)
BORN IN SYROS, GREECE 1926 DIED 01/03/2012
AGED 86
OUR THOUGHTS AND LOVE ARE ALWAYS WITH YOU
YOUR LOVING FAMILY

Her son Nick got in touch to supply further information - and a picture, which I feel might have been taken around 1990. Here is that picture:


And this is what Nick has said about the seat:

My late parents who loved Padstow, the views and seats that you so eloquently describe in your blog wanted to contribute to the area on their demise. Thankfully Padstow Council allowed my family to have their bench install and many family and friends have travel from all over the UK to sit on it since their parting.

I have selected an image that I think best shows them enjoying the Padstow's views and we do hope that you find it suitable for your blog.

I think the picture has been very well-chosen indeed, and reveals much about the couple and their shared love of Padstow.

It isn't often that a total stranger contributes so much to a post of mine. My warm thanks to him and his family.'

I don't think there's anything I need add. I am really chuffed to bits. I wonder if anyone else will get in touch, and add something to the words on another seat plaque?

1 comment:

  1. Marika was a witness for my Mums wedding in Lincoln back in 1957

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford